Congratulations deserved

By Staff Editorial     11/19/09 6:00pm

Last Saturday, the football team won its Homecoming game against Tulane University (see story, page 14). This isn't a misprint. For those following the team's progress - even for those blissfully unaware - the win was an unexpected godsend. What better way to welcome hundreds of Rice alumni back to their former home? (And what better way to encourage them to donate money to the university than with a victory-infused pride?)The team hasn't had an easy season, by any means. Plagued by numerous injuries and a close loss to Southern Methodist University two weeks ago, Saturday's win energized present and former students alike.

Our only complaint lies with the announcement of Kanye West as Homecoming Queen. Rice is known for its quirkiness, which shines through each year in its Homecoming Court nominations: The university displays an unwillingness to follow the beauty-pageant-like competition with which other schools are concerned by nominating ridiculous public figures and landmarks. Last year, we found Kathy Collins the perfect candidate for Homecoming Queen. But Kanye West? Come on, people. Caitlin Barnett was a shoo-in - she is the best BB-gun criminal of all time. Of all time!