Friday, May 03, 2024 — Houston, TX

Faculty concerns for merger must be addressed

By Staff Editorial     10/1/09 7:00pm

Within the last six weeks, Rice has undergone its greatest expansion in decades. Two new residential colleges ushered in their first classes. The off-campus BioScience Research Collaborative expanded Rice's borders. The Barbara and David Gibbs Recreation and Wellness Center dropped jaws from students and faculty alike. The campus is opening up and stretching out, and Rice is finally able to reap the rewards of years of work.But if the memorandum of operation between Rice and the Baylor College of Medicine grows into something more, as Leebron's e-mail Friday about Rice and Baylor's "memorandum of understanding" would suggest, all these recent projects will become distant memories (see story, page 1).

Last Halloween, we delineated our agreement with the decision to progress discussions between the two entities, and, by and large, we are still in agreement with what we wrote ("Rice talks with Baylor College of Medicine," Oct. 31, 2008). The combination of the two institutions would expand Rice's prestige in grand fashion, for not only would Rice extend its graduate opportunities, but it would also subsume one of the top medical schools in the nation. Additionally, the close relationship already shared between Rice and the BCM means the merger would not be the stilted, stunted project it might otherwise be. And there would be no additional construction, no more makeshift muddy paths and no backhoes rumbling down the inner loop, a point which should make us all smile.

However, one of the points we made, that the BCM would find a financial savior with Rice, was written before we learned that the BCM lost over $400 million between June 2008 and June 2009. The BCM's recent suspect history with finances, and its inability to maintain some semblance of financial responsibility, is worrisome.

But don't take our word for it. Numerous faculty members - over half of those surveyed last month - stand in opposition to the proposed merger, many for financial reasons. Concerns include shifting the student paradigm from liberally-educated to purely medicinal, and seeing the BCM suck grant and research monies from other departments into its financial hole. We share these concerns for financial balance - after all, 5 percent cuts were mandated across every department, so is now really the best time to purchase an institute falling apart at the seams?

Well, we still think so, so long as it is done in a measured, controlled manner. And so long as the faculty's concerns are taken into consideration.

Students sometimes forget that there are other populations at Rice beyond just themselves, that there are those who make their living maintaining Rice's academic and scientific mien. Those who play as integral a role in Rice's culture as any of their friends, Screw dates or lab partners. And when over half of those surveyed see something in an unfavorable light, then a problem has arisen.

Fortunately, this problem is eminently manageable. Many of the complaints seem to have stemmed from a lack of transparency in the process. While we readily acknowledge that students will be left in the dark on certain issues, there is no reason for professors to be fearing a loss of grant monies or seeing their students whittled down and replaced with pre-meds. President David Leebron has become known as an excellent communicator, and in this case he should utilize his strengths. Host a faculty-only forum on the issue. Create an ombudsman position for the faculty on the merger committees. Heck, even hold President's office hours just for faculty. Do something, anything, to assuage the faculty.

A university is only as good as its faculty. So let's keep them in the loop.