Friday, May 03, 2024 — Houston, TX

Esperanza planning proves problematic

By Staff Editorial     10/22/09 7:00pm

We acknowledge it would be tough to follow up on the grandeur of last fall's Esperanza, which was held on campus in a Centennial Campaign kickoff tent. Rice Program Council scored the venue free of charge, and students enjoyed a focus on both student DJs and a classy atmosphere complete with a fountain and upscale finger foods. The 1,000 tickets quickly sold out, leaving a large number of students disappointed they couldn't attend the revamped dance.RPC hit a high note with last year's formal, and it's hard not to compare it to this year's (see story, page 4).

We find RPC's selection of Esperanza's venue, the Health Museum, surprising - perhaps not the romantic one students might be hoping for, unless models of teeth and pictures of children with smiling grandparents is your thing.

While the setting may not appear to lend itself to a sophisticated formal event, the most glaring problem is that of space. Due to capacity restraints, RPC will sell just 600 tickets. Given that last year's Esperanza sold out, decreasing this year's available tickets by 400 is a risky move. Though we are sure last year's convenient on-campus location drew a larger crowd than usual, as did the impressive setting, the number of tickets RPC can sell this year is dangerously close to the typical turnout in recent years.

In keeping with recent tradition, this may well be the only formal RPC will organize this school year: Rondelet, the spring formal, was canceled two of the last three years due to insufficient funds. If this is the only dance RPC hosts this year, why not make sure as many students as possible can attend?

The capacity issue is one that could be solved if the venue search process were started earlier in the year. If the only available spaces cannot account for the increased student body and a growing attendance at Esperanza, RPC should start planning well ahead of previous years.

And though the museum is close to campus, transportation to the event will not be provided from campus to the venue - a change from shuttles periodically departing from the sallyport in years past. Instead, students are urged to take the METRO rail and walk a few blocks to the museum. This could pose a problem, as numerous attendees will be walking in perilous high heels and non-breathable starched shirts. We appreciate the return shuttles provided, since the dance ends the same time the METRO service does, but in the case of inclement weather it may be challenging for students without cars to arrive at the dance still looking fabulous.

We aren't sure what to expect at this year's Esperanza, but we hope to be pleasantly surprised.