Tuesday, May 07, 2024 — Houston, TX

Students attacked on the outer loop

By Josh Rutenberg     9/10/09 7:00pm

This weekend, eight incidents were reported on or near the Rice campus in which people were attacked with air-propelled pellets from BB guns, airsoft guns or a similar type of weapon. Rice University Police Captain Dianna Marshall said two of the attacks took place Sunday, while the other six cases occurred Monday. Although four of the attacks occurred on the perimeter of campus near entrances 3, 4 and 17, another four cases occurred in the areas surrounding Rice: two similar instances occurred in Rice Village at the intersection of Morningside Drive and University Boulevard, one at 1815 Bissonnet Street and another on Interstate 45 South at Scott Street.

Typically, the victims were joggers, and the suspects shot at their targets from moving vehicles. In one instance, the assailants shot a Rice student on foot and proceeded to push the student to the ground.

Victims described the weapons used as BB guns, but the pellets could also have been fired from an airsoft pistol, Marshall said. While the victims did sustain minor injuries, medical treatment was not required.

Varying descriptions of the suspects were reported, Marshall said, ranging from three white males to three Hispanic males to several males. One victim saw the suspects driving a white pickup truck, while another indicated a gray SUV.

Marshall said RUPD advises students to always be aware of their surroundings and to look for crises management e-mails. RUPD also suggests students have an understanding of campus emergency phone locations, and asked students to report suspicious activity immediately. If you have any information that could assist RUPD in their investigation, call ext. 6000.