Sunday, May 12, 2024 — Houston, TX

KTRU Corner: Siamese Soul

By Miguel Quirch     9/17/09 7:00pm

When Sublime Frequencies burst onto the scene with the first volume of Thai Pop Spectacular two years ago, it faced a challenge, as historical Thai music was frequently overlooked. Fortunately, its refreshing insight into a vibrant and rich recording industry was a welcome addition to music libraries everywhere.The album featured a great mix of local styles, jazz and pop that melded together eclectic musical influences from surf, funk and disco. It was an exciting piece of history with a seemingly universal appeal.

So the moment I caught sight of a little package in the mail from Sublime Frequencies, I immediately knew something fantastic awaited my ears. I was quite right, and Siamese Soul: Thai Pop Spectacular Vol. 2 does not disappoint. The album, like its title suggests, takes a different turn by showcasing Thai music that leans toward the soulful and funky. Much of the music contained on the disc transports listeners to a groovy lounge, with instrumentation including electric organs, guitars, powerful vocalizations, and khaen, a hardwood mouth organ and Lao trademark.

Siamese Soul focuses on exploring music in different regions of Thailand between 1960 and 1980. Locales range from Bangkok to the Northeastern countryside, allowing for a variety of performances that shine. One moment, you could be listening to a funky tale of breakup and partner-searching in Teun-Jai Boon Praraksa's "Ha Fang Kheng Kan," and the next, hearing a modern, sorrowful, electric organ-filled interpretation of an old tale of a Phutai tribeswoman sung by Angkana Khunchai.

Of particular interest are the short interpretations of the lyrics and translations provided with the disc. The first track, "Bong Ja Bong," sung by Daw Bandon, tells the tale of a young individual focused exclusively on relaxation rather than social relationships. The determined vocals are accompanied by a laid-back bass line and skilled percussion that draw the listener past the language barrier and into an understanding of the story.

In Kwan Jai & Kwan Jit Sriprajan's "E-Saew Tam Punha Huajai (Advice Column for Love Troubles)," a woman asks for advice because she has fallen in love with an 80-year-old man ... his son ... and his nephew. The song revisits the groovy lounge feel, utilizing a repetitive but appealing background theme.

My personal favorite is Man City Lion's funky "Nah Anad (Pity)," where a businessman finds that his wife has left him for another man. The reverb of the vocals, coupled with the guitar, makes for an instant classic.

Siamese Soul is a great insight into Thai pop music from the 1960s to 1980s, and a fun album in itself. The wide spectrum of Thai sounds is displayed, and the quality of the music contained earns Siamese Soul a place in the KTRU library.

KTRU Top 35: Week of 9.13.2009