Wednesday, May 08, 2024 — Houston, TX

A Word With Your Wardrobe: Dressing for Rejection

fcfd6a8d680dccde70f49537b9dff91f

For him, look sharp in a tailored shirt and suit. Stay away from four-buttoned or double-breasted jackets. Try to wear solid colors for a professional look.

By Deanne Nguyen     5/14/09 7:00pm

Dear seniors (or, should I say, graduates): This one's written all for you. Here at Rice, you've been given a lot of yes's: Clubs, grants, letters of recommendation, parking fee waivers, friends and even boys. Granted, there may have been some minor obstacles along the way, but in the end, those sweet words of approval were always within reach.

But out there in that not-so-friendly, not-so-loving world, you know you're going to be given a lot of no's. In fact, they're just passing them out: That bank won't give you a loan because of your credit, that company you've been so dedicated to is "letting you go," that one girl at the club is just so not into your schmoozing tonight.

Things aren't going to be easy, and it's going to sting, but you know what? You've got to plow through that feeling; it's only hindering you from saving the world. But how can you do it so instantaneously? Well, I know one surefire thing that does the trick: dressing to the nines in your best "Take that, world!" outfit. Here's how to dress for the occasion of rejection.

Curve Appeal

Girls, you know how it is. There's a boyfriend or a prospective in your eye, but when you get to know him, he turns out to be exactly everything you don't want. What's more, he's not showing any signs of interest. What you need right now is a bit of power in the form of appearing unattainable, the kind that will show him what he's missing.

Nothing gets the imagination rolling more than emphasizing or creating the illusion of an hourglass figure with a head turning, form-fitted dress. This by no means implies that you should start wearing low-cut shirts or shorter hems. I recommend staying around knee length. Although it may be on the conservative side, it allows for a number of playful necklines or even a deep back plunge while remaining perfectly classy. Just choose your best color and work it.

Alternatively, if you're more body conscious, the easiest way would be to simply cinch your waist. Try pencil skirts, feminine-cut trench coats, or the tried-and-true wrap dress. As for accessories, go for minimalism and opt for only one type - either earrings or a necklace, not both - since the focus is on you and your God-given graces. And heels are a must - no exceptions. How else are you going to make an impact wherever you step?

Ultimately, choosing sweet or sexy is entirely up to you, but remember that it's all about showing off what you've got. Of course, there is the in-between option of androgynous menswear or the rock'n'roll appeal of a hard-ass, don't-take-crap-from-anyone look.

But trust me: Leave those styles to your music this time. That is at the opposite end of the feminine spectrum and is not what we're going for. You can rock out and punch things with your studded cuffs later, but right now, there is just something to be said about looking like a real woman with curves.

Yes Men

Guys, how many no's can you handle before you call it quits? There's a lot of pressure and expectation that you'll "take it like a man," but in reality, it's not as easy as you make it look.

However, you do not have to let other people know that, or everyone will be walking all over you.

How to prevent this from day one? Look sharp in a suit.

Most of you probably already have one, secondhand or otherwise given, but the question is: Do you actually look like you own it? If your shirts poof out at the top of your pants or your jacket is hiding all that hard work at the gym, then you probably do not. This situation is easily alleviated by a trip to an alterations shop, where they make sure everything is tailored perfectly. You could go out and buy a new jacket, pants, what have you, but this trip could prove to be more cost effective.

If you are in the market for new suit pieces, it is important to also consider styles and colors. Two button coats are a safe choice, as are three buttons (four is a little much). Be wary of double-breasted suits; they are both fashion-y and authoritative, requiring a lot of man power to wield them properly, so they are best left to outerwear.

Different prints can give different impressions as well, so it is best to be moderate with pinstripes, plaid and tweed. With colors, black is the safest choice, but gray and navy are also great contenders because they are professional but also show a little more versatility. Plus, they're less intimidating and stiff.

Regardless of your choices, you should not feel any less manly for paying attention to the way you look. Let your mirror psyche you up by showing you that no matter what, today is going to be another "Yes" day.

If there is anything true about looking good, it is the empowering feeling that fills you when you know you're at your best. It is the kind that will tell you, "Yes, you can do anything you want; yes, you can command anyone's attention; yes, you can handle another disappointment."

And of course you can - you look absolutely killer in that outfit. The world's waiting for you. Knock 'em dead.