Saturday, May 04, 2024 — Houston, TX

Kissinger, Baker discuss future of Chinese-American relations

By Josh Rutenberg     4/9/09 7:00pm

What was once a cool relationship between the People's Republic of China and the United States is now an open relationship, helped, in part, by Rice. To honor the 30th anniversary of full diplomatic relations between these two nations, Rice's James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy hosted a conference on April 3 entitled, "America and China: The Next 30 Years." The event consisted of a panel of distinguished guests, including former Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger and James A. Baker III, and China's Ambassador to the U.S., Zhou Wenzhong.

The conference was sponsored by a partnership between the Baker Institute and the Shanghai Institute for International Studies, along with a sponsorship from Continental Airlines. It is the fourth in a series that centers on Sino-American relations.

While the conference focused on past relationships between China and the U.S., it also served as a chance to think about the future of the two countries, and the problems that unite them.

"It is an appropriate time to reflect on the past, and to move forward into the future," Rice President David Leebron said during the opening speech of the conference.

All three guest speakers touched on the pressing global security issues which they claimed unified the two states in a common goal.

"Some see [the problems] as a recipe for conflict," Baker said. "I couldn't disagree more."

Nuclear proliferation, the economy, peace in the Middle-East and environmental concerns were among the many global dilemmas each speaker addressed.

"From the beginning, the Chinese relationship with America was based on recognition of the importance of the ties between these countries in the world," Kissinger said.

It was a common geopolitical presence that motivated early Sino-American talks, Kissinger said, referencing the Cold War threat of the Soviet Union.

"The first [Sino-American] talks conveyed not just [on] a tactical war, - both sides [worked toward] peace and progress in the world," Kissinger said. Kissinger said he believes these are the same ideas that will guide Sino-American diplomacy for the next 30 years.

Along with reflecting on the past, the panel also expressed feelings about the future of Sino-American relations.

"High-level exchanges have played an irreplaceable role in U.S.-China relations," Wenzhong said, alluding to President Barack Obama's recent telephone conversations with Chinese President Hu Jintao.

"As long as both China and the U.S. keep up bilateral dialogue, we will surely be able to achieve steady Chinese-U.S. relations."

Kissinger agreed with Wenzhong, noting the unique circumstances that may connect China and the U.S. in the future.

"We have before us a chance to solve the problems of proliferation, climate change and energy security," Kissinger said. "If the two sides set up the institutions that bring them together, not just on solving the problems of the moment but on addressing the necessities of the future, then they can represent the truly dynamic element in bringing about a new international order."

The differences between Chinese and American systems were acknowledged by the panelists, but they spoke confidently about the next 30 years.

"Differences do exist, and they're not going away," Baker said. "But we must keep lines of communication open. We have to find compromises, agree to disagree. We must be realistic and pragmatic."

Wenzhong spoke with similar sentiments.

"China and the U.S. differ in social systems," Zhou said. "It is only natural we don't see eye to eye on certain issues. The key to approaching differences lies in mutual respect, equality and communication."

Kissinger ended his speech on a thought for the future of Sino-American diplomatic connections.

"The best one can hope is in the next 30 years, progress is made comparable to the one that has been made in the last 30 years," Kissinger said.