Monday, May 06, 2024 — Houston, TX

A Word with your Wardrobe: Thinking Pink

e8cd80655306aa6517c71c5b43675d10

By Deanne Nguyen     3/26/09 7:00pm

I've been doing some spring break thinking, not on spring fashion, but fall. Fall 2009 to be exact. Backwards, sure - but so is the fashion world.As I discussed two weeks ago, New York fashion week for next season was pretty bleak overall, and the European circuit wasn't looking too good, either. After flipping through London's show and starting on Paris's offerings, I stopped and asked myself, "Deanne, what are you doing? It's March. It's going to be six months-plus until anyone in Texas even notices it's autumn. Stop brooding over a hypothetically black future and step into spring. Let's talk about all the stuff that a floral season promises: sugar, spice, everything nice that starts with an 'S' and ends in femininity."

Let's talk about color. No, even better, let's talk about pink.

1. Pink, I do declare, is the color to be wearing. My obsession started with a look from Alber Elbaz's (the designer for French luxury label Lanvin) spring/summer 2009 runway show which debuted in October. It seemed a bit plain, yet I found it to be brilliantly executed: a billowy-yet-pinched blouse, carrot-shaped satiny trousers and simple nude-colored heels. It was three pieces of clothing, no accessories, yet the moment I saw it, I knew it would be the look to define how I approached dressing for spring.

Upon closer inspection, the cut is indeed a sophisticated blend of tucks and textures, but the hot pink color spoke for itself right away. It said, "Here I am. Love me."

There are some runway-inspired looks that utilize our spring color to the max. While donning a jockey helmet or tribal strapped boots for class may be unrealistic, the idea is to wear it sparingly for an unexpected pop of color or nearly head to toe for full impact.

2.These are definitely "I dare you" looks for the bold. Normally, you would start with a basic slate of, say, black and add the brighter colors as needed. Instead, think inversely when constructing the full bodied colored-monochrome outfit. Pick your favorite shade and splash it with some neutral colors to keep it grounded - nude and other peachy tones help bring it out while blending in, which is perfect for this season. But your favorite grays and blacks work just as marvelously, whether in the form of vests, shoes or other accessories.

3. Safe and stylish basics like flats and sneakers or cardigans and jackets will look even more fabulously fun. However, just because you're going to be using it only once in the ensemble doesn't mean it has to be a conventionalfocal point.

Choices like pants or headbands will make you stand out in all the right ways. The trick to wearing these and other brights is to choose a silhouette or cut that is rather classic in nature. This way the color is all you see - not the distracting details. Think the Lanvin look, but in pieces!

From shocking fuschia to demure peach, we should love this color. The versatilities of pink are endless, and not just that it is gender-unbiased. In every form, whether shirts or ties, dresses or shoes, pink is surprisingly easy to wear and instantly gives you the appearance of a daring dresser, no matter what shade you choose. If given the chance, it can honestly go with everything you already own.

And what's more, it has the uncanny ability to just make you look happy. Can your average neutral beat that?

Deanne Nguyen is a Will Rice College sophomore.