Tuesday, May 07, 2024 — Houston, TX

Volleyball opens with auspicious weekend

84598f1c56e9efaf6034598922703e3a

Senior outside hitter Jessica Holderness jumps up for the kill after the assist from sophomore setter Meredith Schamun.

By Natalie Clericuzio     9/4/08 7:00pm

With hurricane Gustav nowhere to be seen in the West University area last weekend, the volleyball team stole a sizable share of the limelight. The Owls went home Friday night with two convincing wins over opening-day opponents University of Louisiana-Lafayette and University of Texas-San Antonio, sweeping both home matches by 3-0 scores. Unfortunately, Rice's fortune dimmed with Saturday's 3-0 loss to the University of Michigan, but the squad returned to center-stage Tuesday with a four-game win at Sam Houston State University. This weekend, the Owls were scheduled to travel to the Louisiana State University Tiger Classic in Baton Rouge, Louis., but the tournament was canceled after Gustav made landfall close by. The team will play in the Baylor Classic at Waco, Texas, instead, squaring off with host Baylor University, Weber State University and, once again, UTSA.

The Owls were successful from the start of Friday morning's match against UTSA, jumping out to leads early in each game and defeating the off-balance Roadrunners 25-13, 25-15 and 25-18. The team's strong play from the start was a welcome sight for fans who frequented Fox Gym last season: The intensity from the opening serve was a contrast to the spotty, inconsistent play Rice generally opened with last year.

After UTSA scored the first point of the match, Rice went on a five-point run personally orchestrated by senior outside hitter Jessica Holderness. The two teams traded points for the rest of the first game until the score read 18-12 in Rice's favor. The Owls then quickly scored the final seven points, which included two late kills from senior outside hitter Karyn Morgan, to seal the game.

The second game was more competitive, with the scoring bouncing back and forth between the squads early. However, Rice consistently rebounded when pushed, often scoring three or more points in response to any UTSA point, and the Roadrunners faded as the match went on. The third and final game followed in the same vein, with the Owls consistently making longer scoring rotations than the Roadrunners. Sophomore middle blocker Caroline Gill, returning from injury, made two late-game kills to help the Owls win the third game and the match.

Later on Friday evening Rice faced Louisiana-Lafayette. The Owls quickly jumped to a 15-6 lead in the first game with the same kind of scoring pressure they had displayed earlier in the day, and they had no trouble holding on for the win.

The Ragin' Cajuns put up a bigger fight in the second game, with the two teams staying neck and neck up to an 8-8 knot. However, a quick 11-3 run gave the Owls a 19-11 lead. Junior middle blocker Natalie Bogan scored six of those eleven points. Louisiana- Lafayette could not recover, and Holderness punctuated the win with a final kill.

Five early hitting errors by the Ragin' Cajuns helped the Owls to a speedy 7-1 lead in the final game, which Rice easily extended to 17-4. The match all but over, Rice overpowered Louisana's comeback attempts and took the match 3-0.

Saturday's match against 25th-ranked University of Michigan brought the Owls down to earth. Even though Rice fans packed the bleachers at Fox Gym, their support was not enough to carry the Owls past the stiff competition.

Despite multiple lead changes early in the first game, Michigan pulled ahead to win 25-16. Rice played the Wolverines more closely in the match's second game, even tying the score at 24-all late in the contest.

However, missteps at the end of the game by the Owls gave the game to Michigan. The final game of the match resembled the previous two, with the teams trading leads early. After Rice closed Michigan's lead to three at 14-11, the Wolverines took a time-out to regroup. Out of the huddle Michigan played the Owls tightly and pushed their lead to 18-11 before eventually taking the final game 25-15.

Volpe said she was satisfied with her team's effort in the match, despite the loss.

"I knew we would find our weaknesses in these first matches, especially playing Michigan," Volpe said. "The way they came out against Michigan believing they could win the match, though, was great for the team. . The look in their eyes was priceless and shows we've taken strides in the area of confidence."

The Owls were looking for redemption Tuesday night in Huntsville, Texas, when they faced off with Sam Houston State. Rice easily took the first two games 25-16 and 25-13 respectively before the Bearkats battled back in game three, topping the Owls 25-23. In the fourth game, Rice sewed up the match, taking an early lead to win 25-20. The team's record improved to 3-1.

Rice also earned conference-wide honors Wednesday when sophomore libero Tracey Lam was named the Defensive Player of the Week.

"I'm very flattered," Lam said. "I was very surprised and I think our blocks pulled together well this weekend, and I just happened to be the one recognized.