Rice Soccer 2008 Preview

By Yan Digilov     8/21/08 7:00pm

For the past two years, the Owls have been knocking on the door of the NCAA tournament, and after a slight decline in 2007, the squad is hoping that the third time is the charm.While sheer misfortune led to a series of injuries and upsets last year, the players know that they cannot rely upon luck to carry them to success. They each went through a vigorous workout schedule over the summer to enhance their fitness levels and prepare themselves for a run at a conference championship and NCAA tournament berth.

"The group that we have now is the most committed team that we have had at Rice," head coach Chris Huston said. "As a team, the overall fitness of the girls is better than it's ever been."

While there is only one returning senior on the team, the squad features a number of experienced players making up the core of the squad. Many of them will be controlling the ball on the offensive side of the field.

"You are especially going to see the depth in our forward position," Huston said. "We have four to six girls that could step in and contribute at any given game."

Sophomore Korey Taylor, a member of the Conference USA All-Freshman team, and junior Erin Scott should play the most minutes in the forward position.

One of the most exciting additions to the offense is a familiar face from the past. Anne Candee was the C-USA Tournament Offensive MVP in 2005. Injury has kept her off the field for two years, but the former Rice rookie of the year is hoping to make a triumphant return.

Freshmen Hope Ward and Amy Beger have impressed Huston with quality play throughout training camp.

"Both of them as freshmen have done a great job," Huston said. "They are extremely dangerous on the ball, effective going to goal, and effective finishing."

Six starters will be returning to the squad, but all of them will be playing in the front and middle of the field. The defensive players will be the most green in terms of collegiate game experience.

"What is going to be interesting this year is that we are starting from scratch on the back line," Huston said. "We are going to have to be moving people into positions that they haven't played before."

While most coaches would be worried about recreating an entire defensive unit, the Owls have reason to be optimistic: Senior Chandra Ewing will be joining the team after four years on the track team. Ewing comes into the season with four years' worth of college-level conditioning and competition experience, and she should be as much of a contributer in soccer cleats as in track cleats.

Sophomore Stephanie Crain has fought back from an ACL injury to play midfield, but because of the empty spots on the defense and an injury to junior Katelyn Ostendorf, Crain may see minutes in the back as well.

The Owls can also rely upon the consistent play of sophomore goalkeepers Meghan Erkel and Catherine Fitzsimmons. Both have shown that they are capable of leading the defense with intensity and quality play, and Huston may have to split minutes between the two unless a solid starter emerges in the next few weeks.

The team will face difficult competition early, traveling to Oklahoma State University and the University of Oklahoma for the first road trip of the season. Texas A&M University and Princeton University will be difficult competition, as well, but Rice will play both at home on Sept. 14 and 21, respectively.

Within C-USA there will be fierce competition between Southern Methodist University, the University of Memphis and the University of Central Florida for the top spots, and the Owls hope to force their way to the front of the standings, as well.

But before they can focus on the postseason or their rivalry games, the Owls will have to perform well on opening weekend. They will play Sam Houston State University today and University of Texas San Antonio on Sunday.

"If their girls go out with the focus that they have demonstrated already this season, it should be two very good games," Huston said.

A strong start of the year will have to be combined with a newfound consistency to make it to the tournament and to call the season a success.

"Anytime you have expectations like that, you have pressure," Huston said. "These girls understand that there is going to be pressure, but it's good. It's a direct result of their performance.