Killer Films

39b457dcb0613a55752ec056ecb49394

By Faheem Ahmed     8/21/08 7:00pm

A sociopathic clown. A drunken billionaire adorned in titanium alloy. Construction workers committing suicide. Sounds like the plot of a really hot porno, doesn't it? If you didn't recognize them, those were just a few of the numerous highlights that dominated the box office this memorable movie season. Every summer, Hollywood churns out a slew of mega-blockbusters full of glitzy special effects, mind-numbing explosions and gunfights. This past summer was no exception.The 2008 summer box office was ruled by superheroes: Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Hell Boy II, Hancock and, my personal favorite, The Dark Knight. As an obsessive-compulsive movie-watcher, I had several amazing - and not so pleasant (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2) - cinematic experiences. So let's get started .

Iron Man

The character of Tony Stark, a billionaire technology manufacturer who gallivants during his off hours in a weaponized suit, drew the interest of several A-list actors. The role would have perfectly suited Tom Cruise back in the '90s, before he believed in the power of alien spirits and of dry humping Oprah's couch. When Robert Downey, Jr. (Zodiac) was given the role, I was very skeptical.

After leaving the theater, however, I admitted that I had thoroughly enjoyed myself. Downey absolutely owns the screen as Tony Stark. Having spent several years in drug and alcohol rehab himself, Downey could easily relate to the damaged character of Stark. Unlike many conventional superhero archetypes, Stark is narcissistic, chauvinistic and hilarious. His first 15 lines on-screen had me cracking up already. Kudos to director Jon Favreau (Made) for a very rich script with smart comedic quips and sizzling action sequences.

Gwyneth Paltrow (Shakespeare in Love), Terrence Howard (Hustle & Flow) and Jeff Bridges (The Big Lebowski) also turn in solid supporting performances in this star-studded cast. Iron Man is a very fun and entertaining film for all ages.

The Happening

After his mind-bending horror success, The Sixth Sense, M. Night Shyamalan was dubbed the "next Spielberg" by Newsweek. Wrong. I enjoyed the dump I took this morning more than this steaming load of crap. First, the film opens with a promising scene in which everyone in Central Park suddenly begins killing themselves. Very creepy indeed. Then it moves on to Mark Wahlberg teaching his science class about vanishing bees. Let's stop right there. Mark Wahlberg. A science teacher? Look, I'm a huge fan of Wahlberg and think he's really versatile (excellent in The Departed), but as a sweatervest-wearing book worm? Hell no.

Wahlberg looked awkward, and his opening dialogue with students felt forced down my throat. His blue-eyed costar, Zooey Deschanel (Elf), who plays his weird and befuddled wife, is no more promising. Every time the annoying Deschanel mumbled something incoherent, I begged for Wahlberg to uppercut her into the audience.

Shyamalan was clearly trying to make a social commentary on post-9/11 society; particularly, how civilization can so easily crumble down to its foundations in the wake of a disaster. His efforts, however, are pathetic and do not capture the true terror of the situation. Aside from a few scenes featuring creepy cinematography, The Happening ruins an original concept due to sloppy directing and an unsatisfying conclusion. Sadly, Shyamalan has proven to be a one-hit wonder.

The Incredible Hulk

When the cast credits include the likes of Tim Roth (Reservoir Dogs), William Hurt (Dark City), Liv Tyler (The Lord of the Rings trilogy was the first time I've ever whacked off to an elf princess) and, last but not least, Edward Norton (Fight Club), the movie is a sure blockbuster.

Not only is this film energetic, exciting and entertaining, but it also features a poignant love story for the ladies. I'll admit that I grew up reading comic books and collecting Marvel cards, but you don't need to be a superhero geek to enjoy this film. Norton, who plays Bruce Banner, is in masterful form, bringing a very sympathetic and frustrated face to the mighty Hulk. Tyler is excellent as the wife of Bruce Banner, a strong and willful woman who provides emotional support.

One of my concerns when entering the movie was whether the computer graphic imaging would make the Hulk look cheesy, but I was extremely pleased. The graphic details were smooth, and the skin textures of the respective hero andvillain were phenomenal. There truly is a human heart to this monster story, so much so that even the gals will have an incredible time.

Hancock

Will Smith (Independence Day, Wild Wild West) sure knows how to make a lot of money during the summer. Would Hancock live up to all the hype? The concept of a mean and lazy superhero appeared quite original and especially appropriate in this era of comic book movies.

The problem with Hancock, however, was that it seemed like two completely different movies mashed together. The first half was a hilarious, albeit predictable, comedy, featuring a silly chemistry between Jason Bateman (Arrested Development) and Smith. But then it seemed like the writer and director became confused and thought they could turn this action comedy into a dramatic tragedy. They failed terribly.

The last 40 minutes of the film were completely superfluous and abruptly ruined the comedic flow. Charlize Theron (Monster), as beautiful and talented an actress as she is, took up too much on-screen time with very little character development. The end presented a stream of scenes so absurd that I strongly considered leaving the theater and demanding a refund. Overall, the second half of the movie made this a mediocre film at best.

The Dark Knight

If I were allowed to, I would dedicate seven pages of my review to this absolute masterpiece. I had been looking forward to this movie for three years, ever since Batman Begins successfully rejuvenated the caped crusader with a bold and dark reincarnation (thankfully wiping my memory clean of Batman & Robin, bat nipples, and Arnold wanting to kick some "ice").

On paper, this film was sure to be a huge hit with godly director Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Prestige), an amazing ensemble cast including Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine and unbelievable viral marketing. Even when the title, The Dark Knight, was first announced - making this the first Batman film without his name on it - I totally nerd-gasmed. This title promised an even darker revisit to the cryptic hero, delving into the complex psychosis of Bruce Wayne and what drives him to don his suit every night.

In addition, he would be facing off with the greatest villain in comic book history: the Joker. Now, I was a huge fan of Tim Burton's 1989 version of Batman, and Jack Nicholson's portrayal of this archnemesis is iconic in cinematic history. To recast the role would require an actor of unbelievable imagination and talent. When that role went to the late Heath Ledger, my first reaction was, "That dude from 10 Things I Hate About You? No way!" But as I followed the progress of the film, the reviews of Ledger's stellar performance began flooding in, and my initial skepticism transformed into escalating excitement.

With that said, I waited until four in the morning on opening night for a chance to watch the film on IMAX, for which I'd purchased tickets a month ahead of time. After the tragic death of Ledger, the hype of this film was above and beyond anything I had ever witnessed. I entered the theater with the highest expectations - and they were blown away.

This film belongs to Heath Ledger. While Nicholson performed as the Joker, Ledger is the Joker. The second he appears on screen, he mesmerizes the audience. This chilling and psychotic portrayal of a killing clown is the best of his career, and I am so sad that he will not be able to witness our appreciation.

The Dark Knight is no mere comic book adaptation, but a sizzling crime drama with dense plot themes. The cinematography of the soaring skyline of Gotham, a must-see in IMAX, is dazzling, poetic and haunting. I've seen the film three times, and I recommend seeing it another 50. Aaron Eckhart (Thank You for Smoking) and Gary Oldman (The Fifth Element) turn in excellent performances as the optimistic District Attorney Harvey Dent and noble Lt. Gordon, respectively.

The Dark Knight glides through the night like a beautiful nightmare, and I assure you that the grinning face of Ledger's Joker merits an Oscar nomination.