Wednesday, May 08, 2024 — Houston, TX

News In Brief

Wiess Road reopensWiess Road, which is located between Wiess College and Autry Court, will officially reopen today. The road has been closed since the summer because of construction on the South Plant - Rice's new energy efficient source of power.

- Lily Chun

Rice employee loses child

The Houston Chronicle reported that the eight-month-old daughter of a university employee died March 14 after her father accidentally left her in his car upon arriving at work.

She was taken to Texas Children's Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

A memorial visitation will be held for her today 3-5p.m. at Geo.H. Lewis & Sons on 1010 Bering Dr.

Director of News and Media Relations B.J. Almond said Rice could not comment on the situation.

- Dylan Farmer

SA forms revision making committee

On Monday, the Student Association passed Bylaw Amendment 13 "To create the Committee on Constitutional Revisions," which will form a committee to regularly review the SA Constitution and suggest revisions to it. Parliamentarian Chris Warrington, who proposed the amendment, said there is no such committee at the moment. Instead, any student can propose an amendment.

The formation of this new committee will only add a group whose formal job it is to propose amendments; it will not change the current system in which students can suggest revisions.

Warrington, a Jones College junior, said the primary purpose of this committee is to work on large-scale projects where many opinions are needed, although the committee can work on other amendments as well.

"[We'll] use the committee to look at changes that we need to make to the SA structure to support the new colleges and the increasing student body," he said.

Warrington said any student can apply to serve on the committee. The senate will choose a yet-undetermined number of members to sit on the committee. These students will join the SA parliamentarian and SA internal vice president, who will also sit on the committee.

- Lily Chun