Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Management Ph.D. must meet university standard

By Thresher Editorial Board     8/24/07 12:00am

The Jones Graduate School of Management proposed a doctoral program in management to the Graduate Council last semester. While we greatly applaud this step of increasing research on campus, we have a big reservation about the courses associated with the doctorate. 

Generally, introducing a doctoral program affects little outside the program's department — Ph.D. students take most of their classes from their department alone. But the Jones School's proposal does exactly the opposite: In the typical proposed management Ph.D. student's schedule, 75 percent of the courses listed are graduate level courses from departments outside the Jones School, including economics, statistics and political science. 

Currently, the relative isolation of the Jones School from the rest of the university permits its admissions office, which will handle management Ph.D. candidate applications, to consider applicants based on the Jones School's standard — which is markedly lower than the university's. If management Ph.D. candidates are considered on par with Jones MBA candidates, departments outside the Jones School will suffer the consequences: Lower-caliber graduate students will flow from the Jones School to other university departments, take up space in classes and lower the quality of class discussions. And this will hurt the university. 

If management Ph.D. candidates are allowed to take mostly non-Jones School classes, their admissions standards must match those of the rest of the university, and there must be regulations imposed to ensure that those standards are being met. We urge the Faculty Senate to take this issue into account when they consider the proposed doctoral program.

Support Houston, shop local

Within the hedges of Rice University, it is possible — and thanks to online shopping, sometimes easier — not to venture out and explore the city that Rice calls home. However, treating campus as separate from Houston fails to recognize the impact that we have on the larger community that we are a part of. To support the relationship between us and Houston, the Rice community should make a consistent and concerted effort to shop at and support local businesses. 

OPINION 10/13/21 12:23am
Guidelines require definitions: What is a ‘gathering’?

As we have seen over the past 18 months, COVID-19 has a tendency to disrupt even the best-laid plans. The administration was premature in declaring a return to normalcy in May, and we appreciate the caution with which they have handled COVID policies this semester. Since the initial testing snafu during Orientation Week, COVID guidelines on campus have been gradually rolled back as the semester progresses. 

The Rice community showed us how to show up

This weekend, people flooded the streets of Houston and cities across the state to protest SB 8 at the Women’s March. For a march dedicated to women, the crowd extended well beyond that group, including adults, children and pets alike. While it may have been initially daunting to take action in the wake of SB 8’s enactment, numerous displays of support last weekend by members of the Rice community and other actions in the previous weeks have shed light on how we can support each other and come together to support causes we are passionate about.