Wednesday, July 17, 2019 — Houston, TX 92°

Stay trendy in the colder weather with this season’s picks

winterfashion

By Shelby Bice     10/31/18 12:12am

Won’t you take me to cozytown…

While the internet’s obsession with all things “hygge” (which is Danish for a moment or experience that is particularly cozy) seems to have waned a bit, the pursuit of being cozy still seems to be very “on trend.” Whether you’re looking forward to colder temps over winter break or have difficulty toughing it out in the frozen tundra that is Herzstein Amp, you’ll find many cozy options like sherpa hoodies, boucle cardigans and extra soft chenille sweaters to keep you warm. 

The 90’s are back and here to stay

With the resurgence of all things 90s, you might want to take a few notes from “Friends” (if you’re a fan) for your winter fashion. Consider investing in a classic black turtleneck or plaid skirt to wear with sheer black tights and ankle boots, or embrace your inner child with a corduroy overall dress layered over a long sleeve top. If nothing else, you’ll be prepared for Y2K next semester.

Dress like a duchess

With Meghan Markle’s recent visit to Australia, she’s been causing quite a stir - whether it’s a dress or a pair of shoes, the clothes that she chooses to wear are selling out in stores and inspiring trends. While you would be hard-pressed to find a college student with the same budget as Markle, you can find dupes for some of her favorite preppy styles at retailers like J Crew Factory and Madewell. 

These boots were made for walking…

While you can never go wrong with a classic black ankle boot, consider switching it up and trying out something new this winter. If you’re looking for something a little fancier for your last-minute Esperanza outfit or holiday parties, consider an ankle boot with a slim kitten heel. They look great with skirts and dresses, but can also be dressed down with some rolled jeans and a sweater. If you’re looking for something a little more substantial for everyday wear, add some edginess to your outfit with studded, buckle-encased booties or chunky lace-up boots (which never seem to go out of style), two recurring trends that seem to have gotten a few updates this year. Expect to find higher heels on lace-up boots (think a more elevated version of classic Doc Martens, in more ways than one) and booties sporting studs and embroidery in addition to numerous buckles and straps.

Upgrade your outerwear

If you’re looking to put more effort in your everyday attire, consider ditching the career fair hoodies and long sleeve tees and opting for something a little more put together. Monochromatic nylon jackets (with or without cozy insulating layers) are popular and play into the ongoing obsession with athleisure. If you’re looking for something a bit more substantial, consider searching for a corduroy, denim or canvas jacket lined with shearling or even a faux leather jacket, if you’re feeling particularly fancy. 

Vampire Weekend expertly packages insight and maturity on new album ‘Father of the Bride’

The second half of the album departs from the sunshine of the first half by evoking more somber, contemplative tones. Tracks “Sympathy” and “Sunflower” experiment with electronic synth and funk influences. As a result, Vampire Weekend’s effort to synthesize different genres with their trademark indie rock at particular points in the album is highly appreciated, and saves Father of the Bride from becoming a sidekick to Modern Vampires. 

Ktru Outdoor Show delivers eight hours of sunny entertainment

On Saturday, the Central Quad came alive as a multitude of students and community members gathered on picnic blankets for the 28th annual ktru outdoor show. The show, lasting eight total hours, featured a diverse mix of acts from the quirky indie duo Coco & Clair Clair to the intimidating performance of Kilo Kish. 

Identities laid bare at senior art show

Nineteen visual and dramatic arts students, most of whom are double majors, presented their work at the senior art show last night. Their passion bleeds out into sculpture, painting and film but also through these other academic and cultural aspects of their lives — all on display in Sewall Hall.