Tuesday, July 16, 2019 — Houston, TX 85°

New water line to bring higher water pressure to campus

constrcution-site-photo-not-online-charlene-pan

By Christian Cannon     9/19/18 2:27am

Rice is partnering with the City of Houston to install a new water pipe along the inner loop that will bring higher water pressure to campus, according to project manager Elmer Whitehead. 

The construction site is between Rayzor and Sewall halls, and the pipe has already been installed along the inner loop from the Baker Institute to Herring Hall, according to Whitehead. 

In the next few days, Whitehead said construction will move to the oak alley between Herzstein and Anderson halls to extend the pipe to the west side of campus.

“Over the last few years, Rice noticed that the water pressures on campus were declining,” Whitehead said. 

He said development on and off Rice’s campus has caused declining water pressure.

“The biggest issue had to do with water lines that were abandoned during the construction of other projects in the [off-campus] area,” Whitehead said. “Although the line runs through campus, it still belongs to the city.”

The City of Houston has agreed to reimburse Rice for over half of the cost of the project, according to Whitehead, and “has been very helpful” since becoming aware of the issue. 

Whitehead said although Rice usually does not partner with the City of Houston, they are doing so this time simply to see more immediate change. 

“The City of Houston concluded that with its existing schedule and labor resources, years would pass before it was able to address this issue,” Whitehead said. “Rice decided that it was in the university’s best interest to partner with the city rather than waiting until the city did the work.” 

The project is expected to be complete by Oct. 10.

Paul Otremba, assistant professor in creative writing and widely published poet, passes at 40

“He loved to cook, was an excellent chef and often invited whole gaggles of us over to his apartment, working in the kitchen and talking poetry to whoever was nearby while others lounged by the pool,” Johnson wrote. “When I joined the faculty at Rice, he showed me the way, provided an atlas, a compass through the morass of elite academia, and after the presidential election that first semester, often talked me off the proverbial ledge of rage or despair.” 

A new coffee shop on the first floor of McNair Hall is projected to open for business this September, according to Peter Rodriguez, dean of the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. According to Rodriguez, several external vendors are currently competing for a contract. Whichever vendor is selected will choose the baristas who will staff the coffee shop and the types of coffee and food offered, Rodriguez said.