Friday, July 19, 2019 — Houston, TX 83°

Letter to the Editor: Jan. 25 backpage dismaying

By Michael Reed and José Aranda     1/31/17 10:58pm

To the Editors:

We were dismayed to read the content of the Jan. 25 edition of the Thresher Backpage. As college masters we are familiar with the difficult and important job that Lisa Zollner, director of Student Judicial Programs, undertakes on behalf of our community every day. History has shown that, time and again, women in highly visible leadership positions are criticized for their work in ways that are different from men in these positions. Certainly, those previously in charge of SJP have been the target of send-ups in the Backpage over the years. But by proclaiming that the page is “in honor of the Women’s March” while simultaneously “satirizing” Lisa Zollner in ways that imply that the judicial decisions she makes are based on her gender, and that she would get drunk and proposition a student, is disrespect woven more around her identity as a woman in charge than a person in charge. She deserves more respectful treatment than this, and members of the Thresher staff can certainly write better, and be funnier, than this.

Michael Reed, Will Rice College Master

José Aranda, Brown College Master

Companies need to remember the inclusion part of diversity and inclusion

Companies should strive to go beyond “quotas” for underrepresented groups as their measure of diversity and inclusion. Diversity and inclusion are reflected in how marginalized groups are treated by others, the opportunities available to these groups and the amount of respect given to a person’s voice. Even if a company has an equal demographic split, can they really say they are diverse or inclusive if select people experience bias or lack opportunities for success?