Monday, July 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 85°

Letter to the Editor: Disappointed

By Sally Chew     9/21/16 8:50am

Dear President Leebron,

I am writing to let you know that I am very disappointed that the university felt the need to apologize for the Marching Owl Band halftime show on Sept. 16. The show contained no jokes or satirizing of sexual assault or rape victims. The target was the Baylor University Administration (and, indirectly, many of Baylor’s fans … especially after their appalling ovation for the former coach). We of the Rice community should neither regret nor apologize for any role we might have had in causing or increasing their discomfort about these issues. They should be uncomfortable about them.

While I am unable to be in Houston for any of this year’s games, I will continue to support the MOB “from afar” and will be there in person in the future whenever possible. I hope that you will reconsider your position and support the MOB fully in the future.

Sally Allen Chew

Jones College ’79

MOBster 1975-79, MOB President 1978-79

Companies need to remember the inclusion part of diversity and inclusion

Companies should strive to go beyond “quotas” for underrepresented groups as their measure of diversity and inclusion. Diversity and inclusion are reflected in how marginalized groups are treated by others, the opportunities available to these groups and the amount of respect given to a person’s voice. Even if a company has an equal demographic split, can they really say they are diverse or inclusive if select people experience bias or lack opportunities for success?