Nothing in here

dd6bab59e8233a65d61d82298950805c
courtesy: 20th century fox |

In a phrase: Rocky Horror meets High School Musical.

Where to find it: Details are sparse, but will probably air on television sometime next year.

Speculation is circling around the recent announcement that Fox will be remaking everyone’s favorite cult classic Rocky Horror Picture Show. Details are sparse, but Hollywood Reporter claims it will be pre-taped and aired on Fox in time for the 1975 film’s 40th anniversary. The other known tidbit is that the film will be directed by Kenny Ortega of High School Musical fame, which has spurred a wave of ambivalent reactions across the web. News that the original film’s producers, Lou Adler and Gail Berman, will join the project has assuaged some worries that Ortega will Disney-fy the musical.

This is Fox’s second attempt to remake the classic — there was talk about the network picking it up 10 years ago for its 30th anniversary, but the project never came to fruition. The decision to go through with the production this time around may have something to do with Fox’s growing affinity for remaking musicals. The Rocky Horror announcement closely follows Fox’s wild success with musical show Glee and news of a Grease remake starring Vanessa Hudgens and Julianne Hough.

041887aa02d21d78534b9d01979536dc
courtesy: affectiva |

In a phrase: Computers that know when you’re sad.

Where to find it: Hasn’t hit the mainstream market yet, but it’s just a matter of time. 

Computers have already gained the capability to play several roles in your life — library, secretary, personal assistant, dietician. Soon, however, it seems that your Macbook may also be able to take the place of your psychiatrist. New software program Affectiva, a start-up that grew out of research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, uses algorithms to recognize emotions through facial expressions with 90 percent accuracy. 

The possible applications of such a program are endless: Experts say software may be able to detect psychiatric disorders more objectively than well-trained physicians or identify if a driver is stressed or tired to help prevent car accidents. The only concern is that these programs are a little creepy. Some critics claim the technology could be used to collect “emotional” data and use it to exploit consumers: There’s a fine line between cool new tech and Big Brother.

05e413bc951c2991c78359fda981587b
courtesy: lilly pulitzer |

In a phrase: Crazy basic girls mob popular retails stores.

Where to find it: Target, if there’s any left.

If you don’t know what Lilly Pulitzer is, just think ultra preppy, neon-pink-and-green dresses and skirts. The brand has traditionally had a reputation for being overpriced and difficult to procure, so when news broke that a more reasonably priced line was coming to Target, 16- to 30-year-old females everywhere jumped with glee.

Despite the hype, however, no one could have predicted the response when Target launched the line on Monday, April 20. Hundred-person lines accumulated outside Target stores across the country like it was Black Friday, and shoppers crashed the website in record time. The good news is that Target has clearly found a winning product, but whether they can keep up with demand is yet to be determined.