Friday, May 24, 2019 — Houston, TX 89°

Students on campus

By Rice Thresher Staff     8/28/13 7:00pm

After two years at No. 1, Rice dropped to No. 2 for "Happiest Students" in the Princeton Review's "The Best 378 Colleges" rankings, while rising from No. 2 to No. 1 for the fifth time in the "Best Quality of Life" category.

"I feel like we haven't gotten that much less happy. A lot goes into the rankings, so maybe we'll be #1 again next year."

- Duncan sophomore Ashley Buchanan

"Because it's such an academically ranked school, I didn't expect it to really be as happy as it is. It already feels like home!"

- Duncan freshman Iqra Dada

"I think Rice is really trying to improve our resources, so I don't see why we would have gone down in happiness while we're trying to make improvements. I think the college system helps make everyone feel welcome."

- Martel senior Izzy Spanswick

"The rankings were right on. The university seems really proud, and everyone I've met so far absolutely loves Rice."

- Lovett freshman Luke Daniels

"I don't think we've gotten unhappier - some other school probably just got happier than us, and I'd say quality of life has actually improved."

- Hanszen sophomore Michael Fleming

Graduation 2019: Rain distracts but fails to disrupt

Class of 2019 graduates came to Saturday morning’s commencement with their caps, gowns, stoles and umbrellas. Despite forecasted downpours and the proposed alternative venue of Tudor Fieldhouse, both Friday and Saturday ceremonies were held outside. Like their matriculation ceremony four years ago, the graduates saw rain fall as they were granted their degrees. 

Martel College senior Muna Uzodike to speak at graduation

“I truly believe we find our unique purpose in that space, because no one can be copied to the T,” Uzodike said. “We have a lot to bring to the table and I just want to remind people that no matter what space they find themselves in, they should never abandon the traits, gifts or skills that make them unique.”