Wednesday, May 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 79°

News in Brief

Quiz Time

Housing and Dining's renovations in South Servery are taking place in preparation for the opening of Hoot South in the coming fall semester and the opening of H&D's cafe.

"During lunch we are providing a cafe that the entire Rice community can utilize since non-college members can't eat in the serveries," Director of Residential Dining David McDonald said.

The menu of the cafe will be dependent on what the servery makes for that specific day, along with certain retail items said McDonald. Retailing lunch in the servery serves as an alternative for the members of the Rice community who do not have a meal plan.

Hoot South will be operating in the same location, sharing storage space with the cafe as Hoot North does with West Servery.

H&D projects to open the cafe the week after O-Week. Operating hours will be from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the possible exception of Thursday. Hoot South will operate in the same space from 10:00 p.m. through 2:00 a.m. all week, opening later in the fall semester.

Graduation 2019: Rain distracts but fails to disrupt

Class of 2019 graduates came to Saturday morning’s commencement with their caps, gowns, stoles and umbrellas. Despite forecasted downpours and the proposed alternative venue of Tudor Fieldhouse, both Friday and Saturday ceremonies were held outside. Like their matriculation ceremony four years ago, the graduates saw rain fall as they were granted their degrees. 

Martel College senior Muna Uzodike to speak at graduation

“I truly believe we find our unique purpose in that space, because no one can be copied to the T,” Uzodike said. “We have a lot to bring to the table and I just want to remind people that no matter what space they find themselves in, they should never abandon the traits, gifts or skills that make them unique.”