Monday, April 29, 2024 — Houston, TX

Pick(nic) your way around campus

picnics-ndidi-nwosu
Ndidi Nwosu / Thresher

By Kristal Hanson     4/2/24 11:20pm

Whether looking to frolic, study, pretend to study or just indulge in some serious snacking, springtime beckons for you to picnic. So grab your backpack (because who actually owns a picnic basket?) and head outdoors to one of these charming locations.

Ralph S. O’Connor rooftop

Take your picnic game to new heights (literally) by making your way to the O’Connor building’s fifth floor balcony.  On your way up, you can grab some fries or a sweet treat at Dandelion Cafe. From the balcony, you’ll be treated to sweeping views of downtown Houston that’ll have you feeling on top of the world.

Founder’s Court

Grab your friends and head to Founder’s Court for a lively hangout. Whether tossing a football or a frisbee, this expansive green field offers plenty of space to play and unwind against the iconic backdrop of the Sallyport. Be ready to be caught in the back of a tourist’s photo. 

On the 180°

Rule the picnic game by throwing down your blanket on the massive granite slab in the engineering quad. This picnic throne towers over the quad, offering a prime vantage point for soaking in the sunshine and ambiance of campus life.

Hermann Park

For a change of scenery, take a leisurely stroll from campus to Hermann Park. With benches scattered throughout the park and a plethora of attractions, including tranquil gardens and museums, it’s the perfect destination for a day of exploring and relaxing. During your trip, you can take advantage of your free entry at the Houston Zoo to share a meal with the sea lions during their daily feeding

McNair Hall

The courtyard behind McNair Hall is the perfect place to enjoy the weather. Grab some Audrey’s coffee and settle in on a bench for a view of the Skyspace and the city. Make sure to bring your sunglasses, as this spot is sunny from morning to evening. 

Brockman Hall for Physics fountain

For a serene place to study and picnic, look no further than the fountain by Brockman Hall. The nearby tables make for an easy study spot, while the calming fountain alleviates the stress of upcoming exams. 

Reckling Park hill

The hill beyond Reckling Park’s left field fence is the grassy knoll of picnic dreams, with built-in grills ready to cook up your feast. The baseball entertainment makes this spot a home run for grill masters and sports fans.

Brochstein Pavilion

Got a hankering for some outdoor dining but don’t want to stray too far from food? Fear not, because Brochstein’s got you covered. Grab your grub to-go and make a beeline for the nearby Central Quad. Or, cheat a bit and just grab one of Brochstein’s outdoor tables to picnic at.

Skyspace

When golden hour approaches, the Skyspace lights up, echoing the sunset’s colors and making for a peaceful picnic experience. Pair with a charcuterie board for a sophisticated snacking experience that’s as aesthetically stunning as it is delicious.

Peggy Whitson breaks the glass ceiling, lands among the stars

Peggy Whitson has spent more time in space than any other American. She was the first female, nonmilitary Chief of the Astronaut Office for NASA and the first woman commander of the International Space Station, but despite all her success, Whitson denies any claims of special talent or giftedness. Above all else, she said, hard work and perseverance brought her to the top. 

Sitting Around the Bonfire with Ben and Michael

Being a small school has benefits and disadvantages. Some claim that one of the drawbacks of being a relatively small campus and having a strong residential college program is that it is often difficult to find events or activities happening across campus. That’s where Benjamin Liu and Michael Mounajjed stepped in.