Kim holds first senate of term

senate-jae-3-cali-liu-web
Cali Liu / Thresher

By Maria Morkas     3/19/24 10:50pm

Student Association president Jae Kim led his first senate for the 2024-25 session March 18. He outlined his expectations for the year, highlighting transparency, communication and uplifting and amplifying the voices of all students. 

During the SA meeting, he said he wanted to increase the collaboration across the SA and be intentional in the resolutions that are shared and passed. He emphasized that there would be no tolerance for any form of “bias, marginalization [or] aggression.”

Kim, a Brown College junior, said that he wants to prioritize empowering students to use the SA as a platform for advocacy. Specifically, he wants to advertise the fact that every undergraduate is a member of the SA and can write resolutions alongside college presidents, senators and new student representatives.

“[I want to make] sure our resolutions are intentional, thoughtful and feasible,” Kim said in an interview with the Thresher. “Also, [I want to] make this a really safe space, especially if we have anything more contentious that comes up, like making sure we can disagree, but we do so in a respectful way, in a way that maintains a culture of care within this body.”

To bike or not to bike? Beer Bike 2024 sees tents, possible wind

This year’s Beer Bike took place Saturday, April 6. After a seven-minute delay, the alumni races began, followed by the women’s and then the men’s. For the second year in a row, each of the races were divided into two heats. As usual, the times from both heats will be compared, along with calculated penalties, by the Rice Program Council to determine final results. Results are not available at time of publication, and the campus-wide Beer Bike coordinators did not provide a timeline for when they will be.