Unleash your discount detective with these savvy student savings

By Disha Baldawa     8/22/23 10:54pm

Calling all budget-conscious brainiacs. If you’re a student looking to stretch your dollar, you’ve come to the right place. This week, the Thresher is diving headfirst into a world of wallet-friendly wonders that’ll have you mastering the art of student discounts. Use all that saved-up money for extra Chaus.

Piada Italian Street Food 

Head to Piada on Fannin Street between 2-5 p.m. Monday through Sunday and all day Wednesday to get any entree and a large fountain drink for $8 (plus tax). All you need to do is show your student ID. Hop on the Metro at Hermann Park/Rice U on Fannin South and you can make your own flatbreads, salads and pastas.

Amazon Prime 

Students get six months of Amazon Prime free with their student email. Get next day deliveries, free shipping, free returns and Prime Video. The account also includes a year of Grubhub+. You could be saving $14.99 per month on the Prime membership, $8.99 per month on Prime Video membership and $9.99 per month on Grubhub+ membership. You can also create three Rice email aliases, getting you up to 2 years of free Amazon Prime in total.

Student Beans and UNiDAYS

Save on clothing retail stores like H&M and American Eagle up to 20% and 30% off, respectively. Show your student ID in stores or order online and get a promo code from apps like Student Beans and UNiDAYS. You can also get discounts on other stores like Foot Locker, Crocs, Puma, North Face, J.Crew and more. 

Target

Get all of your room essentials online from Target at a 20% discount. From the very basics to the fanciest decor, you can get it shipped to your door for free in two days as long as your order is above $35. Save that money on unavoidable purchases as you stock up your room.

Travel

If you’re trying to book your trips for midterm recess, Thanksgiving or winter break, don’t forget to check StudentUniverse. They provide the cheapest flight ticket and hotel bookings for students with an additional 10% discount for Amazon Prime Student accounts. Amtrak offers 15% off for tickets booked one day in advance. United offers a 5% discount on flights booked through the United app with a MileagePlus account when you select discounted travel (18-22) during the booking process. For international students, Emirates offers a 10% discount with the promo code STUDENT. 

Spotify Premium, Hulu and Showtime 

For music and movie lovers, Spotify offers a great deal if you sign up with your student email address. For a reduced rate of $5.99 per month, students get access to ad-free music. The subscription also includes access to Hulu for streaming.

Museums and zoos 

Rice students get free access to Houston’s renowned museums such as the Museum of Fine Arts Houston and the Museum of Natural Science. When entering the museum, just present your student ID to explore all the art, history and science you could ever need. The Houston Zoo is also free to students – just select “College Student” under discounted tickets when you reserve your tickets online or show your ID at the entrance. The zoo and several museums are walking distance from the North Colleges, and with your Rice-provided free Metrocard, you can also catch a ride to beat the heat.

Dave’s Hot Chicken 

Dave’s Hot Chicken in Rice Village offers a 15% discount if you show your student ID when you order. The Rice Village institution is an eternal staple for hungry students and is also within walking distance for many places on campus.