New brews to sip on

coffeeshops-guillian-paguila

Guillian Paguila / Thresher

By Saswat Pati     4/11/23 11:31pm

While some off-campus places like Common Bond and Agora may be well known to Rice students, we here at the Thresher wanted to provide some new locales to quench your caffeine addiction, especially during the grind of finals season.

Siphon (7 a.m.-8 p.m. Daily)

Key Recommendations: Siphon Slow Brewed Coffee, Golden Milk Latte

As the name suggests, Siphon brews some of their coffee using a siphon — instead of boiling the coffee and reducing its intensity, this method slowly heats the coffee in a vacuum, creating a brew that is less rough and more flavorful. 

With its large menu, there are a few specialty drinks that stand out, such as the Honey Bee latte. And, if you just want a simple drip, this coffee shop has traditionally made coffee as well. 

Siphon is perfect for finishing up a paper, with both a large interior seating area and a covered outside area. If you end up getting hungry, Siphon also has an all-day brunch menu with both small bites and full meals.

Koffeteria (M and W-F 7 a.m. -2 p.m., Sat and Sun 8 a.m.-2 p.m., Tue Closed)

Key Recommendations: Pistachio Baklava Croissant, Cocoa Nib Cold Brew

Just minutes away from Minute Maid Park and featuring spacious outdoor seating and a cozy interior, bakery and cafe Koffeteria really shines with their sweets and pastries — although their coffee is nothing to scoff at either. With both a set and rotating menu, every trip can provide a new experience, and virtually every pastry they make has that Instagram aesthetic.

The space of Koffeteria is quite upscale, featuring modern furniture and a clean warehouse atmosphere. While not the largest of interior spaces, it certainly is one of the more coziesty on this list.

Un Caffè Premium Roastery (7 a.m.-5 p.m. Daily)

Key Recommendations: Iced Vanilla Cloud, Butter Croissants

Un Caffè is an intimate coffee shop and roastery just five minutes away from campus. It features a cozy set-up with plenty of light and air. While the coffee here is excellent, the shop’s true highlight is the craftsmanship and care of its wonderful owner, Soonkack Kook. At Un Caffè, Kook makes sure to prioritize the coffee and consumer experience. 

Driven by a master in his craft, Un Caffè has some of the most unique coffee drinks I have had in Houston. The best among these would be the Iced Vanilla Cloud, a drink that somehow has the froth of a cappuccino without any of the milk. Other highlights include their cold brew and their hibiscus tea. When you inevitably get hungry during a long study session here, there is also a wide assortment of pastries and snacks from croissants to ramen to even Pocky.

Cavo  (M-F 7 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sat and Sun 8 a.m.-6 p.m.)

Key Recommendations: Cafe au Lait, Aeropress

While a bit more mainstream than the other spots on our list, Cavo shines in its quality of coffee combined with a modern ambience perfect for focusing on any last minute studying. With two locations both less than 10 minutes from campus, Cavo has a lounge quality that is perfect for reviewing some readings.

Cavo prides itself on an upscale coffee experience with a variety of non-traditional drinks. Like Siphon, Cavo also has a siphon-coffee maker and other excellent slow-brewed drinks. With plenty of lighting, a chill atmosphere and good food, Cavo is a perfect choice for finals studying.