Friday, January 27, 2023 — Houston, TX

Too many people are comfortable with their fatphobia

img-7178
Photo courtesy Jazmine Castillo

By Jazmine Castillo     1/17/23 11:47pm

Editor’s Note: The following opinion piece contains references to fatphobia, disordered eating, thoughts of self harm, suicidal thoughts and child abuse.

On Dec. 21, the following message was posted on Fizz: 

“Fat people are disgusting and I’m tired of people like you sugar coating it saying it’s ok. If you don’t want to be disgusting eat healthier and go to the gym. Yes of course some people will have it harder than others but that’s life, that doesn’t mean you get to hide under your ‘genetics’ and pretend you don’t look disgusting when you’re clearly obese and unhealthy.” 

The comments following it were full of blatant fatphobia, with dozens of upvotes. Sadly, this isn’t something new at Rice or limited to Fizz. Fatphobia is rampant throughout the culture here, often unsaid but rarely unnoticed, at least by those of us directly affected by it. But even that understates the importance here — fatphobia is harmful to everyone, including people who are “normal” sizes, because it encourages body dysmorphia, eating disorders, bullying and hatred on all levels and at all ages, and those who are posting these comments should be ashamed of themselves.

I’m writing this because I am fat. Supposedly synonymous with: disgusting, vile and lazy. But, fat is not a bad word, despite the fact that the student body seems to think it is. 

Y’all say that being fat results from poor self control or laziness, but I was seven when I realized that I was fat, when I first wished I could cut off pieces of myself, even though my habits were the same as my peers. Even without getting into the science — that there are uncontrollable factors that make people larger from differences in genetics to varying gut bacteria  — do you think it’s ok to put a seven year old on a diet? That’s when I was first introduced to one. 

The only time in my life that I could ever be considered thin was when I was 12, living in an abusive home, depressed, suicidal and starving myself. Once out of that home, I gained the weight all back, and then more. I was told I took up too much space but would still never be enough. Would you tell that kid the same things you were saying hiding behind anonymity on Fizz? 

Then, I came to Rice, where nearly everyone is skinny. And I know you all noticed I wasn’t from the moment O-Week started. It was a mutual understanding. But at some point, I decided I was done hating myself, done trying to earn the respect that everyone else had by default. You tell me I need self control. Fewer calories in than calories burned. Go to the gym. As though I haven’t known that since before I hit puberty. As if I don’t know how many calories are in each piece of safety chicken and my maintenance caloric intake. If you’re going to be so obsessed with my body, at least tell me something I don’t know. 

Every one of you should reconsider how you treat the fat people in your life. You claim to “worry about my health,” even with my normal blood pressure and pulse and other stats, because fat people in good health don’t fit into your worldview. No matter what you were taught growing up or what you think is happening with someone else’s health, fatphobia is not okay.

Just like any other hatred, this needs to be called out. I know you’re fatphobic, and you know you’re fatphobic, so next time, say it to my face and face the fact that I’m a real person that you’re choosing to hate because of something that doesn’t affect you in any way. Or change. Look up resources on how to battle fatphobia, both internally and what you hear from those around you. Be a good ally, or at least try not to be an asshole to those who don’t look like you. Don’t mention someone’s weight, how much they’re eating, or that they should hit the gym, whether that friend is big or small. And if you refuse to change, then realize that you’re just a hateful, bigoted person and accept that fact — you are choosing to hate an entire group of people for physical characteristics that have no impact on your life. 

Rice should allow more than 8% of graduate students to eat at campus serveries

Everyday, many graduate students are struggling with meals, because Rice offers very limited on-campus servery dining opportunities for them. Many students have expressed concern over this policy including Yajie Liu, a bioengineering Ph.D. student. Her day is filled with coursework, research and mentoring undergraduates in the lab. Though Yajie is on campus from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day, she enjoys her busy life. This semester, she applied for the graduate meal plan but failed to get selected. She is very disappointed and has to spend extra time and effort preparing affordable meals herself. The on-campus graduate meal plan is very important to student life, Ph.D. students in particular. Rice should expand the on-campus meal plans to cater to the demand of increasing graduate students.  

Bring Sunday brunch back to campus

At the very first Editorial Board meeting of this school year, the seniors on our board got on our high horses to inform the Rice community of the way things used to be done vis-a-vis selling tickets to public parties. We’ve held our tongues since then, as we can appreciate that circumstances change and growth is good. But the time has come for us to speak again, this time in support of resurrecting the greatest of all pre-COVID traditions: Sunday brunch.

The RMC needs to reread their mission statement

We reported at the end of last week that popular late-night food spots YoYo’s Hot Dog and Oh My Gogi are being forced out of Rice Village by the end of the month. Justifiably, Rice students and the local community were outraged — a petition to the Rice Management Company titled “Save Yoyos and Oh My Gogi” has over 4,500 signatures as of publication.