Friday, January 27, 2023 — Houston, TX

Crosthwait’s career-high leads women’s basketball past UTSA

courtesy-rice-athletics
Photo courtesy Rice Athletics

By Pavithr Goli     1/18/23 12:03am

The Rice women’s basketball team came back from an 11-point deficit in the second quarter to defeat the University of Texas at San Antonio on Monday night by a score of 78-76. Their second straight win against Conference USA opponents, the Owls are now 3-4 in conference play and have a 12-4 record overall. The Owls were led offensively by senior guard Katelyn Crosthwait, who scored a career-high 23 points against the Roadrunners while also tying the school record for threes scored in a game with seven.

According to head coach Lindsay Edmonds, she was proud of her team for getting the win, especially after they spent a lot of their time on the road last week.  

“Winning’s hard and winning in conference play is hard,” Edmonds said. “We had a really long week being in Tennessee on Wednesday and then going to El Paso Saturday and [turning] around here [tonight] playing. I thought we had a slow start but we found a way.”

The Owls and Roadrunners started the game by trading baskets during the first couple minutes. However, the Roadrunners managed to jump out to an eight-point lead by the end of the first quarter despite efforts by Crosthwait and senior forward Ashlee Austin to counter the Roadrunner baskets. In the second quarter, the Owls trailed by as much as 11 points, but cut into that deficit with a 9-0 run with three minutes left in the half. A three-pointer by Crosthwait with 36 seconds left gave the Owls their first lead since leading 2-0 at the start of the game. However, a last-minute layup by the Roadrunners gave UTSA a 39-38 lead going into halftime.

After a Crosthwait three to start the half, the Owls retook the lead at the beginning of the third quarter and never looked back. Crosthwait, Austin, and sophomore forward Malia Fisher helped the Owls build a lead in the third quarter. The Owls continued to use their momentum entering the fourth quarter. Up by 11 points with three minutes left in the entire game, the Owls almost squandered their lead when Roadrunners staged a 9-0 run to cut their deficit to two points with a minute and a half remaining. However, several key free throws made by senior guard Destiny Jackson extended the Owls’ lead to five. A UTSA and-one cut the lead back to two, but Rice ran the clock down to two seconds, and UTSA’s last-second effort couldn’t connect.

According to Edmonds, the strong performance by the Owls in the second and third quarters allowed them to survive the late push by the Roadrunners.

“We won the second and third quarters, which put us in position to have a few slip-ups in the fourth and we were still able to finish the game out,” Edmonds said. “I’m proud of our fight and our toughness. We could’ve laid down, but we had some adversity tonight, and we didn’t lay down. I think we showed [that] toughness all through the non-conference season and so that was good to see again.” 

The Owls will try to carry their momentum forward when they host the University of North Texas on Jan. 19 at 7:00 p.m.

Even after cold-streak, WBB’s rebuild is still ahead of schedule

Rice’s women’s basketball team got off to a ridiculous start this year. The Owls won their first nine games, their best-ever start to a season in program history. They weren’t just beating up on an easy non-conference schedule either. The Owls beat a pair of power-five teams in Texas A&M University and Texas Christian University, in addition to a win over the American Athletic Conference’s University of Houston (although admittedly all three  of those higher-profile teams are having down years).

T&F indoor season gets off to fast start at UH meet

For the first time this year, both of Rice’s track and field teams were in action on the same weekend, competing at the University of Houston’s Robert Platt Invitational. The meet was the first of the indoor season for Rice’s men’s team and the second for the women’s team, which sent a few competitors to UH the previous weekend. Five Owls took gold over the weekend, and seven others medaled.

Ashlee Austin discusses her journey from bench to brilliance

If you watched any Rice women’s basketball games in the past two years, you’ve seen No. 22 with pink highlights hitting shots and making plays. But if you saw Ashlee Austin as a freshman, you would be shocked to see the transformation that the forward from Johns Creek, Georgia has gone through: from the last seat on the bench to the face of Rice women’s basketball.