Monday, February 06, 2023 — Houston, TX

Thresher staff bowl game predictions, featuring a special guest

football-preview-curt-rice-athetics
Courtesy Rice Athletics

In honor of Rice’s first bowl game appearance in eight years, we’ve collected predictions from our staff and one very presidential guest.

Daniel Schrager, Sports Editor: Rice 21-17

“As tempted as I am to predict a tie that Rice wins on an APR tiebreaker, I think we’ve probably killed that joke already. Both teams are pretty evenly matched and try to control the clock, so that should keep it close. I’ll go with the feel-good story and say Rice ekes out the win.”

Pavithr Goli, Asst. Sports Editor: Rice 27-23

“Despite having injuries at some critical positions, the Owls have enough on the offensive side to push them past a Golden Eagles team that moved from the Conference USA to the Sun Belt Conference this past offseason. A concern for the Rice defense should be Frank Gore Jr, the son of former All-Pro running back Frank Gore Sr., who has over 1,000 yards rushing on the season and is ranked second overall in the Sun Belt in yards from scrimmage with 1274.”

Ben Baker-Katz, Editor-in-Chief: Southern Miss 24-17

“It’ll be close all the way through, but Southern Miss is gonna get a TD halfway through the fourth quarter that the Owls won’t be able to match.”

Morgan Gage, Editor-in-Chief: Southern Miss

“I imagine Rice will do as well as any team in a game they barely qualified for, which is to say not well at all. However, I’ll be cheering them on, I promise.”

Cadan Hanson, Senior Writer: Rice 42-24

“Rice will win behind 5 touchdowns from quarterback AJ Padgett”

Reginald DesRoches, President and (completely objective) guest bowl game predictor: Rice

"I predict a hard-fought Rice win in the battle of the birds."

WBB splits weekend road trip at Charlotte, UAB

Last week, the Rice women’s basketball team flew east for a two-game road trip. Their first stop was a visit to the reigning Conference USA champions, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, where they lost 66-61. For the second leg of their trip, the Owls took on the University of Alabama at Birmingham, where they bounced back from​​ Thursday’s loss with a 67-57 victory over the Blazers. After the trip, head coach Lindsay Edmonds was pleased with how the team was able to bounce back on Saturday after Thursday’s loss.

Freshman Maya Moise talks passion for lifting

Maya Moise’s path to becoming one of the top weightlifters in the state of Texas began four years ago, with a piece of missing cartilage. Moise started playing basketball at six years old and continued until early high school before her basketball career was cut short by an injured knee. The missing cartilage prompted a yearlong period of rest that culminated in Moise discovering a love for weightlifting.