Sunday, February 05, 2023 — Houston, TX

Three Films to Look Out for from the Houston Cinema Arts Festival

courtesy-houston-cinema-arts-festival
Photo courtesy Houston Cinema Arts Festival

By Jay Collura     11/29/22 11:31pm

The Houston Cinema Arts Festival wrapped up two weeks ago on Nov. 16, and I was fortunate enough to see a great set of films throughout the week. The festival highlighted both local and global cinema, featured films of nearly every genre and placed the spotlight on diverse perspectives and underrepresented filmmakers. Here are three of my favorite movies I saw during the festival and that you should look out for when they release in theaters or elsewhere.

“The Five Devils”

It’s hard to know exactly where to start when describing Léa Mysius’s “The Five Devils,” as the movie lies somewhere between romance, drama and sci-fi. The film follows Vicky (Sally Dramé) and her mother Joanne (Adèle Exarchopoulos) as their daily lives are interrupted by the arrival of Julia (Swala Emati), Vicky’s aunt. As the movie continues, Vicky learns more about the storied past between Joanne and Julia through supernatural means, uncovering crucial moments in both of their lives alongside the audience. This strange premise allows the film to innovatively capture a compelling internal conflict within Joanne, depicting the struggle between her past and future relationships. The script strikes a great balance of fantastical elements and grounded drama, pulling back from the complex sci-fi-esque sequences as the stakes elevate, allowing the core relationships to shine. Ultimately, however, the film’s conflict began to feel one-note by the time the credits roll, but the creativity on display makes this film worth a watch.

“Sick of Myself”

Simply put, Kristoffer Borgli’s “Sick of Myself” was my favorite film I saw at the festival. The film was incredibly entertaining throughout, expertly balancing comedy and horror to create a statement on the absurdity of our attention-driven modern culture. The film follows Signe and Thomas, a couple living in Norway who are obsessed with being at the center of attention. As the film progresses, the relationship between the two becomes toxic, as they continue to one-up each other in increasingly ridiculous ways. The humor in the film is derived from this escalation and the insanity that follows — the film walks the line between black comedy and absurdism, encouraging the audience to ridicule the stupidity of the characters while not being overly serious. Despite how funny the film manages to be, it still points the mirror back at the audience. Some of the illusions of grandeur and smaller decisions made by the characters are relatable or at least tangible, giving the whole movie an edge that other comedies might lack. While not for the faint of heart, I found that the film was able to find its balance and create a uniquely ludicrous social commentary, with some horror elements to boot.

“Women Talking”

“Women Talking” was likely the highest-profile release at this year’s festival, and it deserved the attention it received. The principal cast features Rooney Mara, Jessie Buckley and Frances McDormand (who also has a producer credit). As the title implies, director Sarah Polley’s latest is a film in which a group of women talk after learning of a string of sexual assaults that have occurred within their isolated religious colony. The film primarily takes place in one location, demonstrating the discussion between women of various ages and statuses who present arguments of whether they should leave the colony. This heavy premise is handled very well by the film: its focus stays firmly on the riveting dialogue rather than exploiting the material. This conversation is what leads to intense dramatic moments and genuinely engaging moral questions which are sold by the great lead performances. While not an easy watch, the film is certainly worthwhile because of the great depth found within the script and the many important messages that lie within it.

Review: ‘Honey’ is a bittersweet confession

Recorded in the woods of North Carolina, Samia’s second studio album “Honey” is a confident, self-aware and unique addition to Samia’s growing discography. Dark and dreamy, “Honey” is an honest reflection on heartbreak, angst and feeling lost. 

Review: ‘ROE’ grapples with history, humanity and heartbreak

“Roe” was born in 2015, 42 years after its namesake, when playwright Lisa Loomer was prompted to write a script for a project about a critical moment in American history. Since then, Loomer has adapted the script in rhythm with the ever-changing landscape surrounding reproduction rights in America. The most recent update, after the 2022 Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, is an obituary for Roe v. Wade, and it premiered by Stages in Montrose.

Trouble in paradise? Love blooms at these flower shops

Spring is (sort of) sprung, and the lovely month of February brings the hotly contested  holiday that everyone secretly hates but some are more vocal about than others: Valentine’s Day. Sure, the day can be nice with or without a significant other, but the capitalism behind the whole thing is insane. How many mini chocolate heart arrangements can clog up the grocery store aisles? Personally, I much prefer Feb. 15, when everything is on sale. However, one thing that stays classy every day of the week is flowers. They brighten up a room and they can be more personalized than any heart shaped candy could ever be. Here are some of the best local floral shops to check out if you want to impress anyone on your Valentine’s Day list. Or, quite frankly, to buy for any reason, not just a capitalistic, secretly despised holiday.