Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

Spice up your Thanksgiving break with these activities

amber-wang-turkey
Amber Wang / Thresher

By Nishanka Kuthuru     11/15/22 10:26pm

Explore new ways to celebrate Thanksgiving in the greater Houston area. From parades to adventure parks, there is a Thanksgiving Day activity — or two — for everybody to enjoy this season. Bundle up and head out into town on Thanksgiving Day to make some unforgettable fun-filled memories.

Annual Thanksgiving Parade

Celebrating its 73rd anniversary, the annual Houston H.E.B. Thanksgiving Parade is one of the oldest parades in the country. At 9 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning, join thousands of Houstonians lining the streets to witness elaborately designed floats, marching bands and high-flying balloon displays. If you don’t want to leave the comfort of your room, the parade is streaming live on KHOU 11. Feeling adventurous? Online applications are open for those who wish to participate in the parade. 

Address: Smith Street, Downtown Houston

Holiday Tree Lighting in Uptown

Light up the holiday season by attending the ceremonial lighting of 300 custom-made 20-ft tall trees. Located along Post Oak Boulevard, the annual Uptown Holiday Tree Lighting is a family favorite and a great way to kick off winter festivities. Starting at 4 p.m. with music and holiday markets, this event features a Hilton Post Oak balcony decorating contest, a dazzling light show and firework extravaganza following shortly after the ceremonial lighting of Uptown’s holiday trees.

Address: Post Oak Boulevard, Houston

Thanksgiving Buffet at Aquarium

An aquarium may not seem like the first place to share a Thanksgiving meal with families, friends and some strangers. But every Thanksgiving, the Downtown Aquarium hosts a Thanksgiving meal, featuring both traditional Thanksgiving dishes and some aquarium-appropriate seafood. Only a 15-minute drive away from campus, you can enjoy your meal while exploring the exhibits, going on some rides, feeding some fish or even going on a shark train ride. 

Address: 410 Bagby St Houston Texas 77002

Lightscape Houston Botanic Garden

Head over to the Houston Botanic Garden for the visual treat of an internationally acclaimed holiday light show, happening all day long. A wonderland of lights, music and s’mores, Lightscape provides a magnificent backdrop to take some stunning photos. Priced at $12.50 per person, Lightscape transforms its beautiful garden landscapes into an immersive experience.

Address: 1 Botanic Lane, Houston, TX 77017

Geronimo Adventure Park

If you’re looking for an adventurous day out with your friends, look no further than Geronimo Adventure Park, which is open from noon to 6 p.m. every day. Situated approximately 45 minutes away from campus in Spring, Texas, Geronimo is one of the only amusement parks open on Thanksgiving Day. Featuring numerous zipline courses, rock climbing walls and ax throwing stations, this adventure park will keep you entertained all day.

Address: 6749 Farm to Market 2920, Spring, TX 77379

Turkey Trot

Calling all runners (or walkers). What better way to start off your Thanksgiving morning than with some of the many Turkey Trots occurring throughout Houston? Prepare for your celebratory feast with a job through the city by registering for a 5k or 10k with BakerRipley Houston Turkey Trot, a one, four, or six-mile run with the Pearland Turkey Trot, or a 5k with the Meadows of Imperial Oak.

World Cup fever infects campus

The FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 began Nov. 20 and has brought much of the world to a halt with each game. From last-second winners to amazing goals and seat-clenching upsets, the drama has been high and the world has been captivated by it. Students at Rice are no exception, with a number of watch parties taking place everyday to celebrate and give students a place to cheer on their favorite countries and players. The Pub at Rice has streamed many of the games and has been a hub for many soccer fans in the past week, according to Will Rice College senior and head bartender Jonathan Lloyd.

Deck the halls with these holiday activities

If you are looking to explore Houston in its peak holiday season, want to escape campus during dead days or would just like to unfreeze your inner Mariah Carey, look no further for a list of holiday attractions around campus this December. 

‘Flipping over the rock’: Remembering the fight against sexual violence

Three years ago, the Rice campus was enveloped by protests and discussions over the state of the university’s sexual assault policies. Partially lost to the mists of time and overshadowed by the pandemic a few months later, these protests are largely unknown to today’s student body after the numerous social disruptions these last few years have seen.