Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Meltdown in Malibu: MBB drops opener to Pepperdine

courtesy-martin-folb-pepperdine-athletics
Photo courtesy Martin Folb - Pepperdine Athletics

By Pavithr Goli     11/9/22 12:26am

The Rice men’s basketball team fell to Pepperdine University with a final score of 106-67 on Monday night’s season opener. Starting their season with a loss in Malibu, the Owls main contributor on offense was junior guard Quincy Olivari, who led the team in scoring with 15 points, and assists with six. The Owls struggled to score throughout the game, shooting 38% from the field while the Waves made 63% of their shots and converted 50% of their three-pointers.

Head coach Scott Pera attributed his team’s poor performance to inefficient shooting and leaky defense. 

“We shot it poorly early,” Pera said. “We missed point-blank layups. We missed shots from guys who usually make them, and their good shooters didn’t miss shots. It is a make-or-miss game, but our defense was obviously less than stellar. It’s extremely disappointing.”

For much of the first half, both teams were evenly matched. After being down 7-4 early in the game, the Owls were able to construct a run that gave them a 12-7 lead. However, that didn’t stand for long, as the Waves engineered their own drive that gave them a 17-13 advantage. With 10 lead changes and five times that the score was tied, this back-and-forth continued for the majority of the first half. However, a buzzer-beating three-point shot by the Waves gave the hosts a 46-38 halftime lead.

At the start of the second half, both teams continued to trade baskets. However, four minutes into the half, the Waves started to pull away after putting together a 14-3 run, giving them a 62-43 lead with 16 minutes left in the game. The Waves followed this up with a 15-4 run, putting the game firmly out of the reach for the Owls. The hosts were able to protect the lead through the remainder of the game to hand the Owls their first loss of the season.

According to Pera, the defeat was an unforgettable one but he assured that his team will improve from their opening day defeat. 

“Their players were better than ours, by a lot,” Pera said. “This is something that we cannot forget. This is something that we cannot let happen. To perform like that on opening night is a hard pill to swallow. We have got to play better, and we will.”

The Owls hope to get their first win of the season when they host the University of St. Thomas on Thursday, Nov. 10 at 5 p.m. for their home opener.

Volleyball beats No. 20 Western Kentucky in title game to reach C-USA hilltop

In 2019, the Rice volleyball team took on Western Kentucky University in the Conference USA final only to lose in a five-set heartbreaker. They got another shot at the Hilltoppers in the following year’s title game, and again in 2021, but both times WKU came out on top. Just ten days earlier, while not in the conference tournament, the Hilltoppers beat the Owls in a fifth-set tiebreaker to secure the C-USA regular season title. Sunday, though, the result was different. The No. 22 Owls finally made it past their conference rival, on the No. 20 Hilltoppers’ home court no less, to secure a conference title for the first time since 2018. After the match, head coach Genny Volpe said that she was thrilled to see her team rewarded for their efforts all year.

Volleyball sweeps UTEP in semis to set up rematch with WKU in final

Like clockwork, death, taxes, and whatever other cliché you want to use to describe mind-bending consistency, No. 22 Rice volleyball will face No. 20 Western Kentucky University in the Conference USA final yet again. The Owls secured a finals spot against the top-seeded Hilltoppers for the fourth consecutive year with a sweep of the University of Texas at El Paso in Saturday’s semifinal. According to head coach Genny Volpe, the Owls executed their game plan almost perfectly to punch their ticket to the final.

Volleyball sweeps FIU in first round of C-USAs, advances to semifinals

Rice volleyball took care of business in the first round of the Conference USA tournament, sweeping the No.7 seed Florida International University (26-24, 25-22, 25-18).  With the win, the No. 2 seed Owls advanced to the semifinals where they will face University of Texas at El-Paso. After the win, head coach Genny Volpe was happy with the sweep and moving on to the semifinals.