Monday, November 28, 2022 — Houston, TX

Fall into these autumn activities this season

hai-van-hoang-pumpkins
Hai-Van Hoang / Thresher

By Sara Davidson     11/2/22 12:31am

As November begins and the weather finally stays cool, the time to get out and explore Houston is upon us. Events listed below range from one day events to month long festivals, each with lots of fun, food and entertainment promised. Whether you want to hop on the metro to explore downtown or take a day trip outside of Houston, there are upcoming activities catered to all interests. 

The Renaissance Festival 

The 48th annual Texas Renaissance Festival, which runs every weekend until Nov. 27th, is happening in Todd Mission, just an hour’s drive away from campus. The event boasts themed weekends, including Celtic Christmas and Barbarian Invasion. There are over 70 acres of rides, reenactments, food, shops and activities to take part in. Festival-goers can dress up in their best historical costumes and observe the cacophony of furries, witches, pirates and more all uniting under the same event. 

Dia de los Muertos Parade & Festival 

This year is the 2nd Annual Houston Dia de los Muertos Parade & Festival, happening Nov. 5th in Downtown Houston. The festival will have live music, arts, food and a parade from 7 to 8 p.m. The event is free to attend and the parade is also open, though traditional authentic attire is recommended for those wanting to participate. 

Houston Food Fest 

Happening Nov. 12, Houston Food Fest is located just a short metro ride away from campus into Midtown. The event will have over 70 different food vendors from Houston, Austin and across Texas, with foods ranging from ice cream to gumbo to vegan burgers. There will also be live music throughout the day for some dancing to work off all the food. 

Cinema Arts Festival 

This week-long festival is happening from Nov. 10 through the 17, and is being put on by the Houston Cinema Arts Society. There will be a wide variety of featured films with a focus on Houston-based diversity, screening films such as “Women Talking,” “The African Desperate” and “Friday I’m In Love.” Cinespace, an annual film competition done in partnership with NASA, will be shown, as well as a regional short film competition entitled “Borders | No Borders.” Films are held at both indoor and outdoor locations around Houston, and tickets can be bought for individual shows or an all-access package. 

Fried Chicken Fest 

Purely a celebration of fried chicken, this festival is happening on Nov. 5th, about 20 minutes north of Rice campus. There will be live music, art and, of course, many fried chicken dishes served up from a variety of local restaurants and food trucks.This event is only for those 21 and older, as cocktails are included with the purchase of a “Judge’s Pass,” which grants attendees food sampling vouchers. Sign-ups are still available for the festival’s fried chicken wing eating contest, for any participants interested in becoming Houston’s fastest chicken wing eater. 

REMS to the rescue: Owls talk Collegiate EMS Week

From stubbed toes to life-threatening injuries, one group of dedicated students has seen it all. Throughout the past 26 years, Rice University Emergency Medical Services has rallied around the Rice community, providing support during natural disasters such as Winter Storm Uri and Hurricane Katrina and administering 4,372 vaccines during the COVID-19 pandemic. For Collegiate EMS Week, which takes place during the second week in November, the organization hosted a series of events to increase their visibility and continue expanding their impact on campus. 

Tyler Perini wants to be the mentor he never had

Tyler Perini — or, as students call him, Dr. P — is a Pfeiffer Postdoctoral Instructor in Computational and Applied Mathematics who also researches multiobjective discrete optimization at Rice. He grew up in Atlanta and did his undergraduate at the College of Charleston in South Carolina, where he studied applied math. He later returned to Atlanta to Georgia Tech and received his Ph.D. in operations research. 

Spice up your Thanksgiving break with these activities

Explore new ways to celebrate Thanksgiving in the greater Houston area. From parades to adventure parks, there is a Thanksgiving Day activity — or two — for everybody to enjoy this season. Bundle up and head out into town on Thanksgiving Day to make some unforgettable fun-filled memories.