Sunday, February 05, 2023 — Houston, TX

Deck the halls with these holiday activities

guillian_paguila_zoolights
Guillian Paguila / Thresher

By Disha Baldawa     11/29/22 11:44pm

If you are looking to explore Houston in its peak holiday season, want to escape campus during dead days or would just like to unfreeze your inner Mariah Carey, look no further for a list of holiday attractions around campus this December. 

Holiday Zoo Lights

Visit the Houston Zoo anytime before Jan. 8 between 5:30-10:30 p.m. to relax by the fire and toast marshmallows in front of the 33-foot tall Christmas tree. Take pictures with ski lift chairs in a wintry setting and dance on an interactive, illuminated dance floor. Tickets range from $21 to $27. The main zoo entrance is accessible from the Hermann Park/Rice U METRO station, or is alternatively a 20-minute walk from campus.

River Oak Christmas Lights 

Drive (or walk) through the River Oaks neighborhood to see mansions, shops, restaurants and huge oak trees wrapped in lights. River Oaks Country Club, Highland Village, Inwood Drive and Del Monte streets are particularly renowned for their lighting designs.

Discovery Green Ice Rink

If you missed the Holiday Skate by R-ICE but still want to ice skate, you are in luck. Discovery Green Garden has an open outdoor ice rink you can visit with your friends and family. They are open throughout the week at various times. Tickets cost $17 (including skate rentals) and must be booked in advance. You can reach Discovery Green Garden by taking the Northline TC METRO to Main Street Square NB, followed by a seven minute walk.

Christmas Village at Bayou Bend

Go sledding down a faux-snow slide, take photos with Santa and bring out your competitive side with scavenger hunts at the Bayou Bend Dec. 9 to 30. Open Sunday through Thursday from 5:30-9 p.m. and Friday and Saturday till 10 p.m., this Christmas Village is at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens in the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. A quick three minute ride from the Hermann Park/Rice U METRO Station, tickets cost $15 for general admission and $13 for MFAH members. 

Owls after dark builds community

Tahj Blackman, assistant director of campus events, keeps an array of Lego sculptures in his office, remnants from a competition he helped host on Jan. 19. Owls After Dark, a late-night events program, recently hosted this Lego competition in collaboration with the Doerr Institute.

How to be single on Valentine’s Day

Being able to genuinely enjoy time by yourself is a rare feat. Everyone is swept up in the whirlwind of constantly socializing. Being alone and having fun with yourself is something many values. Yet, having fun alone is the ultimate power move. This Valentine’s Day, take pride in being able to celebrate self-love even if you aren’t celebrating a romantic relationship. After all, you can’t exactly break up with yourself, so show yourself some love and foster this important relationship. Take a break from social media and doom-scrolling, and recharge by taking some time off studying. Here are some exciting solo dates perfect for a session of self-love wooing.