Deck the halls with these holiday activities

guillian_paguila_zoolights
Guillian Paguila / Thresher

By Disha Baldawa     11/29/22 11:44pm

If you are looking to explore Houston in its peak holiday season, want to escape campus during dead days or would just like to unfreeze your inner Mariah Carey, look no further for a list of holiday attractions around campus this December. 

Holiday Zoo Lights

Visit the Houston Zoo anytime before Jan. 8 between 5:30-10:30 p.m. to relax by the fire and toast marshmallows in front of the 33-foot tall Christmas tree. Take pictures with ski lift chairs in a wintry setting and dance on an interactive, illuminated dance floor. Tickets range from $21 to $27. The main zoo entrance is accessible from the Hermann Park/Rice U METRO station, or is alternatively a 20-minute walk from campus.

River Oak Christmas Lights 

Drive (or walk) through the River Oaks neighborhood to see mansions, shops, restaurants and huge oak trees wrapped in lights. River Oaks Country Club, Highland Village, Inwood Drive and Del Monte streets are particularly renowned for their lighting designs.

Discovery Green Ice Rink

If you missed the Holiday Skate by R-ICE but still want to ice skate, you are in luck. Discovery Green Garden has an open outdoor ice rink you can visit with your friends and family. They are open throughout the week at various times. Tickets cost $17 (including skate rentals) and must be booked in advance. You can reach Discovery Green Garden by taking the Northline TC METRO to Main Street Square NB, followed by a seven minute walk.

Christmas Village at Bayou Bend

Go sledding down a faux-snow slide, take photos with Santa and bring out your competitive side with scavenger hunts at the Bayou Bend Dec. 9 to 30. Open Sunday through Thursday from 5:30-9 p.m. and Friday and Saturday till 10 p.m., this Christmas Village is at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens in the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. A quick three minute ride from the Hermann Park/Rice U METRO Station, tickets cost $15 for general admission and $13 for MFAH members. 

FEATURES 4/10/24 12:04am
‘Change is inevitable’: Rice Village through the years

Today, Rice Village is frequented by students and local families alike for its collection of cafes, restaurants, boutiques and brand-name stores. At the time of its founding in 1938, though, the Village was an undeveloped, wooded area with a single dirt road. On that road — now Rice Boulevard — just two buildings stood: Rice Blvd. Food Market, which would be frequented by Rice students grocery shopping for decades to come, and an ice house.

Rice professors tackle teaching, tenure

Jamie Catanese stands outside the Anderson Biological Laboratories with his students as they present research posters for his BIOS 211 class. With his hands down at his sides, he snaps his fingers and throws out questions to familiar students passing by. One student comes to him with an empty major declaration form, and he fills it out without hesitation, laughing and cracking jokes as he signs his name. 

Abdel Razzaq Takriti reasons with revolution

At 16, Abdel Razzaq Takriti already knew two things: he wanted to be a humanities scholar, and he wanted to teach. He was inspired by his mother, a high school teacher; his grandfather, a university professor, dean and prominent academic; and many of his teachers.