Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

Review: Meghan Trainor's ‘Takin’ It Back’ takes listeners on another predictably mediocre ride

image0
Photo courtesy Epic Records

By Francesca Bliss     10/25/22 10:08pm

Rating: ★★½

Top Track: “Made You Look”

Meghan Trainor’s latest album “Takin’ it Back” is both predictably underwhelming and, unexpectedly, not entirely bad. While Trainor’s musical formula has remained almost unchanged since her early success circa 2014, this album adds a refreshing layer of synthesizers  in addition to the brass, “retro” bassline and doo-wop melodies that are emblematic of Trainor’s music. Although Trainor made some slight but meaningful changes to her musicality in parts of this album, the themes of her lyrics are practically copied and pasted from her previous work. The songs in “Takin’ it Back” mostly stay within the limited topics of sex and sexiness, how her man messed up or needs to improve, or confidence. This isn't necessarily a criticism, but having listened to Trainor’s music beyond this album, the consistency of her themes seems noteworthy.

The best song of the album is “Made You Look.” This song is arguably the most predictable, considering it shares the melodic and rhythmic patterns of several of her previous songs such as “All About That Bass” or “Dear Future Husband,” but it also showcases a new style of music production you won’t hear throughout the rest of the album. The style in which the bass and vocals are mixed, particularly in the bare-bones version of the chorus before the addition of horns, is what makes this song more interesting than the others. The first 13 seconds of “Made You Look” are more memorable than the entire album, and I only wish this slight innovation in music production had been further explored in the rest of the project.

The worst song of the album is the album's name sake, “Takin’ It Back.” What makes this song rank the lowest is its lyricism and overall message. Something that has remained confusing to me about Meghan Trainor when listening to her music is the identity she is trying to communicate. Clearly, the lyrics of “Takin’ It Back” are meant to convince me that Trainor is a connoisseur , a producer of classic soul music. This is a very out-of-touch message and leaves me genuinely confused as a listener. Part of what makes “Made You Look” more appealing than other tracks is that it’s an unabashedly basic pop song and isn't trying to be anything else.

“Takin’ It Back” is not the only song in the album that attempts to portray Trainor as someone I’m fairly sure she’s not. “Mama Wanna Mambo (feat. Natti Natasha & Arturo Sandoval)” feels entirely out of place both within Trainor’s album and voice. The listener is left questioning why Trainor says “rude gal” with what is clearly meant to be a reggaeton accent more than once within the song. The whole track feels a bit uncomfortable.

Overall, I would rate this album a 2.5 out of 5. Had another musician came out with the same album I would probably knock off the .5 and leave it at 2, but considering the artist has a very consistent streak of making mediocre music, I feel almost unreasonable holding Trainor to the standards of other musicians. “Takin’ It Back” is the perfect album for playing in a CVS at 3 p.m. on a weekday, but has little appeal beyond that.

Review: MAX elevates House of Blues energy through the roof

Pop powerhouse MAX’s performance at Houston’s House of Blues on Nov. 10 was nothing short of electric. Although I was a relative newcomer to MAX’s music, I already knew and liked his songs “Still New York” and “Love Me Less (feat. Quinn XCII),” the latter of which was included on the setlist.  

Review: ‘The Nutcracker’ loses its footing this season

Upon entering the Wortham Center for the annual holiday show, there is an unmistakable anticipatory energy in the air, accompanying their signature Christmas tree and bubbly mingling between well-dressed patrons. “The Nutcracker” is undeniably a holiday favorite for audience members, but their excitement for the show may be misguided. Despite the show’s remarkable popularity, the Houston Ballet’s production falls short of the original’s charm.

Review: ‘Glass Onion’ sharpens and heightens the original’s subversive whodunnit formula

The original “Knives Out” is one of the few mid-budget movies in recent years to become a household name, and for good reason. It’s an engaging whodunnit with a cast of intriguing characters, smart subversions of the mystery formula, and sharp political commentary. “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” does all of this again, opting to use the success of the original to go big. The quaint house from the first film has been exchanged for an island, the mystery on display is much more audacious and striking and writer/director Rian Johnson’s commentary on wealth’s role in our society has been amplified and brought to center stage. However, the decision to heighten and expand the scope of the film in no way lessened my experience — “Glass Onion” is consistently hilarious and captivating, trading out some of the quaint mannerisms of the first film in favor of more bombastic moments.