Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

SA resolutions introduced on reproductive health, disability accommodations

senate-katherine-hui-web
Katherine Hui / Thresher

By Maria Morkas     9/27/22 11:31pm

At the Sept. 26 senate meeting, students presented two resolutions: one for the creation of a student reproductive health coalition and one for improving the accessibility of disability accommodations.

If passed, the first bill would establish the Student Reproductive Health Coalition, a task force that would meet at least once a month throughout the academic year. 

Senators Ally Godsil, Siddhi Narayan, Ariah Richards and Olivia Roark drafted and presented this legislation in response to the Supreme Court’s ruling on Dobbs v. Jackson and the Women’s Health Organization repealing protections on reproductive healthcare and rights.

The group’s intent is to identify the most critical areas of reproductive healthcare needs and address them through resource and information distribution. Specifically, the group will focus on implementing strategies to distribute information regarding reproductive health services, increasing contraceptive availability, and ensuring that everyone knows about these services

Richards, a McMurtry College sophomore, said that the proposed student task force would remain active indefinitely to address ongoing student concerns. 

“This coalition is important to me because every student has a right to have access to reproductive health resources,” Richards said. “As it stands right now a lot of these resources exist, but they are inaccessible because our students don’t know how or where to access them.”

Roark said increasing access to these resources should be a priority with all of the privileges and resources that Rice has.

“This coalition will bring existing student groups together to allow for consistent collaboration on concrete action initiatives,” Roark, a sophomore from Jones College, said. “It will also provide students with a consolidated platform centered around reproductive health, allowing our voices to be heard loud and clear.”

This coalition also calls upon the interests of student organizations, including but not limited to Period@Rice, Planned Parenthood at Rice, Rice Student Health Advisors and the Rice Women’s Resource Center. Each listed organization will have one representative in this new coalition, according to Richards.

Additionally, Tyler Kinzy, a Wiess College sophomore, presented a resolution to improve the accessibility of disability accommodations. He said the resolution was in response to him realizing that Rice students with disabilities are responsible for initiating the conversation with professors about accommodations and arranging for them within the first few weeks of class.                                                    

The resolution proposes allowing students to send letters of accommodation to the instructors directly from the Disability Resource Center online portal. From there on, the resolution states that it can be the students’ responsibility to make sure that letter has been received and initiate further communication about the nature of the accommodations.

“The genesis of this resolution was conversations I had with people I care deeply about at Wiess who’ve struggled with the imbalance [of] power dynamics in [communicating their] accommodations and a desire to streamline that process,” Kinzy said.

According to Kinzy, even though the resolution doesn’t solve the issue of destigmatizing disability, it helps students who are struggling in the short term.

“I think [in the] long-term, accommodations are a very important part of attempting to provide equal access to education for students with disabilities,” Kinzy said. “But even on a broader societal level, we have a long way to go in terms of truly creating a societal infrastructure that is inclusive of all, not just in regards to disability, but a variety of different identities.”

SPECIAL PROJECTS 11/30/22 12:00am
Special Project: Abortion through the ages

The Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June, ending 50 years of constitutional protections for abortion in the United States. Abortion in Texas is now illegal in almost all cases. Students at Rice sought abortions before Roe, during its reign and will continue in the wake of Roe’s fall. The Thresher talked to alumni from the 1950s through the 2010s to build a timeline of relationships, sex and abortion at Rice.

‘Flipping over the rock’: Remembering the fight against sexual violence

Three years ago, the Rice campus was enveloped by protests and discussions over the state of the university’s sexual assault policies. Partially lost to the mists of time and overshadowed by the pandemic a few months later, these protests are largely unknown to today’s student body after the numerous social disruptions these last few years have seen.

Writer Anna Meriano talks youth literature, community

Since facing her first bout of writer’s block when scribbling down a story in kindergarten, Anna Meriano said she knew she wanted to be a writer. A Martel College (‘13) alumna, Meriano has watched those childhood dreams come to life as a middle-grade and young adult author published by HarperCollins and Penguin Random House. After writing fantasy stories about a family of brujas running a fictional Texas bakery and tales of girls finding belonging on their local quadball team, Meriano understands the power of children’s literature in shaping youth perspectives and works to share diverse stories of family, adolescence and friendship.