Rice-Baylor Program ends after 34 years

ndidi-nwosu-rice-baylor-ending
Illustrated by Ndidi Nwosu

By Hajera Naveed     8/23/22 11:48pm

Rice admitted its last class of Rice-Baylor College of Medicine Medical Scholars this year, and it has since elected to terminate the program citing differences in opinion on how the program should evolve, according to Vice President of Enrollment Yvonne Romero da Silva. In the past two years, Baylor College of Medicine had also limited the number of students admitted from six to three students.

The Baccalaureate/MD program allowed for Medical Scholars to receive a guaranteed, non-binding acceptance to Baylor College of Medicine’s MD school alongside admission to Rice University for their undergraduate degree. It began in 1988 with a mission to support aspiring medical students from underrepresented backgrounds.

Romero da Silva said that she doesn’t anticipate the  decision significantly impacting Rice undergraduates or the makeup of future classes. She expects a minimal dip in the number of applications received, specifically within the School of Natural Sciences.

“We also do not anticipate this having an impact on Rice undergraduates in their pursuit of medical school,” Romero da Silva said. “Currently, Rice undergraduates have a high acceptance rate to medical school. Between 2019 and 2021, an average of 18 students matriculated to BCM outside of the MSP program.”

According to BCM’s Manager of Communications Dipali Pathak, BCM has valued its long-standing relationship with Rice University and is disappointed to be exiting this partnership program. 

“However, Baylor College of Medicine has had great success recruiting excellent students from Rice University through the regular admissions portal and will redouble efforts to continue to recruit the best and brightest from the University,” Pathak said in a statement to the Thresher.

Maria Hancu, current Rice-Baylor Medical Scholar, said she applied for the program in high school because she was certain about wanting to attend medical school after coming from a family of scientists and witnessing medicine at work. 

Hancu said that the program allows students the freedom to explore and try new things without the fear associated with failing. But, in some instances, it can breed complacency as the minimum GPA and MCAT requirements for Medical Scholars are significantly below Rice’s average, Hancu said.

“It’s easy … to do the absolute minimum because you know you have [a medical school acceptance] in your back pocket,” Hancu, a McMurtry College junior, said. “You have to be a person who is genuinely passionate about learning and about improving yourself to not let that be the case.”

For Shragvi Balaji, another current Rice-Baylor Medical Scholar, being part of this Baccalaureate/MD program allows her to explore different aspects of healthcare and how other disciplines relate to health, without having to worry about how it will impact her medical school application.

“[Being part of this program] has definitely impacted [my undergraduate experience] a lot,” Balaji, a Martel College junior, said. “I’ve been able to get involved in a lot of different clubs and extracurricular activities that I find interesting. [In pursuing research], I’ve focused on topics I am interested in rather than what is going to look good on my resume.”

Baylor College of Medicine is continuing its participation in BS/MD programs with other partner institutions, such as through their Joint Admission Medical Program and other programs with St. Mary’s University and Xavier University.

“We have been pleased to participate in the Rice/Baylor MSP program since its beginning in 1988,” Romero da Silva said. “Baylor College of Medicine is an important strategic partner, and we look forward to our continued collaboration on research, graduate programs and joint faculty hires.”