'The Batman': A Masterpiece of Superhero Storytelling

batman-courtesy-dc-studios
Photo courtesy DC Studios

By Saswat Pati     3/8/22 11:13pm

Rating: ★★★★★

Matt Reeves’ “The Batman” succeeds in all aspects from direction, story and acting, and it provides a strong foundation for a new DC comics continuity. The film is the best film of the year thus far as well as one of the greatest comic book films ever made.

While many films are resigned to using superficial aesthetics, “The Batman” crafts an atmosphere of mystery that permeates the film — an excellent addition to the noir genre. Gotham feels like a living, breathing city, a testament to the careful world building that went into creating the film. At points, the film feels like high art with multiple shots seemingly ripped straight from a comic book. From the retro-modern design of Gotham City to Michael Giacchino’s magnificent score, the film successfully transports the audience into the world of Batman.

“The Batman” centers around the Caped Crusader’s early days as Batman (Robert Pattinson)  protects Gotham from a new threat who is murdering the rich and powerful of the city. As the film progresses, Batman faces his foe and unveils a deep conspiracy at the heart of Gotham.

Unlike previous Batman films, “The Batman” focuses heavily on the mystery and procedural aspects of the character. As the plot unravels, “The Batman” hones in on the hero as the World’s Greatest Detective versus the crime-fighting, action-packed focus of the Dark Knight trilogy.

Among many noteworthy aspects of the film, Robert Pattinson’s rich portrayal of Batman/Bruce Wayne stands out. Pattinson truly encapsulates the essence of both characters, and his acting is magnetic throughout. Other actors shine as well — Zoë Kravitz is stellar as Catwoman/Selina Kyle and has great chemistry with Pattinson’s Batman. Their team up feels natural, and their banter throughout procedural scenes is engaging. Aside from these two, Jeffrey Wright provides what is, in my opinion, the best Jim Gordon performance yet, and at some points, his chemistry with Batman rivals that of Catwoman. John Turturro as mob boss Carmine Falcone and Colin Farrell as the Penguin present excellent performances that further immerse the audience into the film’s world.

This movie however is truly elevated by the performance of its villain. Opposite Batman is the Riddler (Paul Dano), who is undoubtedly the best Batman villain since Heath Ledger’s Joker. Moreover, he is one of the best developed and most disturbing villains in recent memory. 

His introduction in the film’s cold open portrays him as a zealot willing to do anything to achieve his goals. As the story progresses, audiences are introduced to his surprisingly personal motivations, and the Riddler imbues scenes with a sense of dread. While many villains today are driven by ideological or imperial motives, it’s refreshing for an antagonist to be as haunted by his tragic past as the hero. 

The only issue with this film, if ever so slight, is the pacing, particularly during the second act. In the middle of the film, there are moments where the story begins to spin its wheel, and many shots feel like they last a moment too long. The movie could have trimmed at least fifteen to thirty minutes of its nearly three hour runtime and still retained its impact.

However, the film compensates for this plodding with a suspenseful and unpredictable third act, where the conclusion leaves the audience wondering how Batman will save Gotham.

This film unapologetically believes in the idea of the hero as a righteous force fighting evil. The film concludes that even amidst struggle and personal sacrifice, being a hero by choosing to save people is indeed worthwhile. I found it refreshing for a major blockbuster to emphasize this focus on the “hero” role which has often been lost in recent years. 

From message to tone to execution, “The Batman” is a film I cannot recommend enough. I urge you to watch it in theaters or on April 19 when it will be released on HBO Max.