March into these artsy events

march-events-ndidi-nwosu
Illustrated by Ndidi Nwosu

By Sara Davidson     3/8/22 11:10pm

A wide range of ways to experience art are available this month, from theatre performances to museum exhibits to local pop-up experiences and community events. Looking at art can be a great way to go beyond the hedges while also learning about and exploring potentially interesting endeavors and subjects this March, from romance to the rodeo to Houston’s roots. 

“Incomparable Impressionism” at the Museum of Fine Arts 

Ending this month, the Houston Museum of Fine Arts is displaying works from Boston Museum of Fine Arts’s renowned Impressionist collection. Close to 100 works of both French Impressionist and Post-Impressionist are at the museum, with notable artists including Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot, Claude Monet, Edgar Degas and more. The exhibition also has nine thematic groupings of the art to make it more digestible and cohesive as well as works on paper rather than canvases, offering a deeper glance into the artists’ working methods. The collection will be on display through March 27 before returning to its home in Boston. 

The Houston Rodeo 

The Houston Rodeo offers art in a variety of mediums, beyond just the artists singing every night in a range of genres. In the daytime, visual art is splayed across the rodeo, from local up-and-coming high school artists entering the rodeo art competition to established quilters, florists and painters adding in their own works. Anyone can take a break from the carnival heat and discover the many various displays ranging from elementary to professional and with every technique imaginable. Themes including the rodeo itself, Texas and nature can be found, and many also go to auction to be sold on behalf of the artists. In 2021, the grand champion artist sold their work for $155,000. The money sold in the school level competition is used to help pay for the participants’ college or furthering their careers. The rodeo runs through March 20. 

“Vision of Freedom” Mural Experience 

A new “augmented reality mural” by artists Preston Gaines and Anthony Rose is being revealed in a community event in Freedmen’s Town. The mural showcases Freedmen’s Town’s past and present in an immersive and elevated format. The event itself is on Saturday, March 12 and begins at 10 a.m. with a talk from the artists about the development of the mural experience and its intended impact for viewers. There will also be tours highlighting the history of Freedmen’s town, refreshments, open discussions and the opportunity to collaborate on a community mural put on by Houston Freemen’s Town Conservancy. The mural experience and community mural will also be available for viewing after the event. 

Alley Theatre’s “Sense and Sensibility” 

Jane Austen’s classic romance comes to life this month at the Alley, with the Dashwood sisters’ fortunes and misfortunes after the death of their father. The show was actually in the beginning stages of production in 2019 before COVID-19, and the entire cast and crew are excited to finally take the stage. The show will run through March 27, perfect for anyone who just saw VADA’s “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” and wants more live theatre. Tickets start at $30. 

Immersive Frida Kahlo Exhibit 

Immersive exhibits are on the rise such as the Van Gogh exhibits that recently came through Houston, and another artist’s work has turned immersive for a whole new experience. The Frida Kahlo immersive exhibit is another 360 degree experience, showing the vibrant work of Kahlo and depicting her story of resilience and perseverance. The show of her art runs for about 40 minutes through the end of March. 

Wiess Tabletop’s “Much Ado About Nothing”

Wiess Tabletop will present the Shakesperean comedy “Much Ado About Nothing,” and opening night comes at the close of the month. Performances will run from March 25 through April 2. For Shakespeare fans or anyone interested in supporting their fellow students who will serve as actors, designers, crew as well as the production team, this is one way to close the month. Admission will be free for student audiences.