Thursday, October 06, 2022 — Houston, TX

Letter to the Editor: Transgressions go beyond the founder

By Leonard Chan     3/1/22 10:59pm

After reading the Thresher Editorial Board’s “Alumni: If the statue news upset you, think about why” from Feb. 1, 2022, I came to the realization that the discussion of Rice’s history and the history of its benefactors should by no means end there.  While the focus has primarily been on the university’s origins, we also need to recognize and confront our past with more recent events instead of brush through them.  For example, the university benefited from the largest corporate scandals in a generation with Enron and Arthur Andersen.  Yet, alumni ignore or willfully forget its role in helping build the university despite its name still being seen in prominent buildings such as the Baker Institute while students remain painfully left in the dark of Enron-related crimes. Meanwhile, the name gracing as well as the funding for the newly completed opera house may also prove problematic. The legal process remains pending for Robert Brockman in the largest tax evasion case in American history. These issues, of course, pale in comparison due to the darkness of slavery associated with the university’s namesake, but no matter how many individuals have benefitted from the rewards of illicit activity, it does not justify the pain endured by those affected. The impact of these cases are still felt, especially in Houston. This conversation can be even more uncomfortable as a good number of active alumni regretfully spent parts of their careers with corrupt organizations. History can be inconvenient, and ignoring it as we have been represents tacit approval.

Letter to the Editor: Satire is not an excuse for discrimination

Two Wednesdays ago, instead of ending my weekly Thresher reading with a laugh, I was shocked to see a piece that included the Bible and prayer in order to mock a Christian professor on campus. Turning to other Christian students and Rice parents, I found similar shared disappointment and sadness. Myself and others sent emails to the Thresher explaining why we found this piece distasteful and discriminatory. We were answered only with an editorial published Sept. 27  saying, in essence: it’s satire, so take a joke. 

Letter to the Editor: The Career Expo is not a one-size-fits-all

The Center for Career Development thanks Wills Rutherford for his time as a Peer Career Advisor at Rice, providing students with career guidance, and we congratulate him on securing his job from the Rice Expo. Responding to his opinion piece, “The Rice career fair fails Rice students,” I’ll elaborate upon the factors employers consider when deciding whether to participate in Rice career expos, the overall recruiting environment and the process Rice students should pursue when seeking employment.