Conventional documentary butchers beautifully unconventional popstar Charli XCX

alone-together-courtesy-greenwich-entertainment
Photo courtesy Greenwich Entertainment

By Jacob Tate     2/1/22 11:11pm

Rating: ★

Early in the “Alone Together” documentary, Charli XCX reflects on her early career at a time when people knew her songs but not her. Constrained by typical pop fare like “I Love It” and “Fancy,” Charli XCX didn’t shine until she charted her own path with the experimental PC Music collaborative in 2016’s “Vroom Vroom.” Ironically, the documentary makes the exact same mistake by flattening Charli XCX into a cut-and-dry popstar narrative that destroys the beautiful nuance of her pandemic-era musical production.

Set on the backdrop of the global pandemic we know and love, Charli XCX decided to record and release an album within weeks while quarantining in her Los Angeles home. This recording process sets the stage for the documentary, promising an insight into her creative process. Since Charli XCX’s run up to “how im feeling now” sustained my early pandemic malaise, I was hyped. In spring 2020, I listened to the singles the second they dropped and danced around in my room to the album. But instead of capturing that transcendent, fleeting euphoria amongst pain, “Alone Together” opts for heavy-handed cuts of newsreels and simplistic interviews with fans. Even touching moments like Charli’s discussion of her mental health struggles fall flat due to overwrought scoring.

The works of art whose creation the documentary supposedly tracks remain much more interesting than the documentary itself. The music videos for early singles like “forever” worked because they lacked narrative. They were smorgasbords of fan-submitted emotion that lacked stable categorization, allowing fans to find meaning. “Alone Together,” meanwhile, never misses an opportunity to tell viewers just how special the moment was. The producers pick the corniest lines from fan interviews and intersperse them with the clunky Tweets with the tone of a forty year old marketing manager. Only when the documentary shuts up and shows clips of fans dancing on Zoom does it begin to encapsulate the essence of the album and the experience surrounding it. 

The documentary also fails to address the tensions between Charli XCX and her fanbase that are so defining of the artist’s career. Charli XCX is infamous for having unfinished versions of her tracks released online by fans, leading to entire scrapped albums and emotional duress for the singer. Even her most ardent fans made memes of it (a fan in the documentary has the scrapped album cover as a screensaver). This leads to an uncomfortable dynamic where Charli XCX gains popularity and infamy from the leaks at the cost of her mental health. These are exactly the nuanced themes a Charli XCX documentary should address beyond the surface level.

“Alone Together” does criminal injustice to one of the most brilliant, boundary pushing pop stars of our generation. It flattens Charli into the exact narrative she’s spent the last half decade trying to escape. Instead of spending an hour with this nothingburger, go watch the videos Charli put out during the quarantine period, from the jubilant “claws” to her wonderful Minecraft set to her Alphaville visions remix. I paused the documentary multiple times to do just that. Charli XCX is about finding your own meaning amongst her chaos, not being instructed by exaggerated visuals and music drops on how to feel. 

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.