Thursday, December 02, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Volleyball advances to C-USA final

vball2021-11-20ricevsmtmk-30254

Courtesy Conference USA

By Daniel Schrager     11/20/21 6:40pm

Rice volleyball took down Middle Tennessee State University on Saturday in straight sets to advance to their fourth straight Conference USA championship game, where they will face No. 18 Western Kentucky University. After the win, head coach Genny Volpe said that the team is playing some of their best volleyball right now as they look to clinch a spot in next month’s NCAA tournament.

“I think we showed today that we are locked in,” Volpe said. “That was an extremely efficient performance today.  We are tough to beat when we execute at that level offensively.”

The Owls opened the game with a convincing 25-16 win in the first set, behind six kills from senior outside hitter Nicole Lennon and four from junior middle blocker Anota Adekunle. They followed this up in the second set by getting out to a 9-3 lead, and were able to withstand a late Blue Raider push to take the set 25-19. The third set started out with some back and forth, but a 13-3 Rice run took the score from 11-10 to 24-13, and they held on to take the set 25-16 and secure their 14th consecutive victory.

Lennon led the way for Rice with a game-high 19 kills, on a .514 hitting percentage. As a team, the Owls put up a .356 hitting percentage, more than double MTSU’s .174. They also won consistently at the net, out-blocking the Blue Raiders 9-1.

The win came the day after the Owls beat the University of North Carolina at Charlotte three sets to one in the first round of the C-USA tournament.

Rice will now turn their attention to 26-1 WKU. The two teams have met in each of the last two C-USA title games, with the Hilltoppers winning both. If the Owls are finally able to get past their conference rivals, they will not only take the conference title, but also earn C-USA’s automatic bid into the NCAA tournament, which starts on Dec. 2. With both teams ranked in the top 25 according to the Rankings Percentage Index, the loser will likely have a shot at one of the tournament's 32 at-large bids. According to Volpe, the Owls have worked hard to get this far in the postseason after a 5-5 start to the year.

“I’m really proud of this group but the work is not over,” Volpe said. “We have been really working to be in the position to win the C-USA championship and look forward to tomorrow.”

The Owls and Hilltoppers will play for the C-USA title Sunday at 10:00 am in Norfolk, VA. 

Does this count as progress? Football needs a more consistent formula

Most of the way through the 2019 season, I thought that Rice had some of the worst luck in all of college football. Through nine games, the Owls were winless, despite four one-score losses, including an eight-point loss to a Baylor University team that ended the season ranked in the top 15. All signs indicated that the Owls were much better than their 0-9 record and that their bad luck in close games was long overdue to flip. The Owls ended that season with a three-game winning streak, including two one-possession wins, appeared to confirm that theory.

Recap: Football ends season with comeback win over LA Tech

On Saturday, Rice football came back from a ten point deficit in the fourth quarter to defeat Louisiana Tech University 35-31 on Senior Day. The come-from-behind win snapped a four-game losing streak and tallied the Owls fourth win of the season, moving their record to 4-8 and 3-5 in Conference-USA.

Men Basketball goes 1-2, plays 3OT game in Gulf Coast Showcase

As many undergraduate students went home for Thanksgiving break, the Rice men’s basketball team spent their break participating in the Gulf Coast Showcase in Estero, FL where they won their first game but dropped the last two. In the first game last Monday, the Owls beat the University of Evansville 109-104 in three overtimes. However, following the win, the Owls did not have positive results for the remainder of the showcase as they lost to Oakland University 76-73 on Tuesday and were defeated by Fordham University 84-74 on Wednesday. After their Thanksgiving-week competition, the Owls are now 4-3 on the season.