Tuesday, December 07, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Review: Marvel swings and misses with ‘Eternals’

courtesy-marvel
Photo courtesy Marvel

By Will Cover     11/10/21 12:15am

Rating: ★★½

With a cast full of stars or soon-to-be stars and a director coming off of multiple Oscar wins (Chloé Zhao), “Eternals” was a movie brimming with promise. Unfortunately, audiences were delivered a congested and dissonant epic which struggles under the weight of its ambitions. “Eternals” is not without its strong moments, but this is a movie that got away from Zhao and Marvel. 

“Eternals” follows a group of immortal beings called the Eternals who have secretly lived on Earth for thousands of years, aiding in human development and offering protection from a group of monsters known as Deviants. Each Eternal, of which this movie has ten, has their own set of powers, which quickly become evident through expositional fight scenes. 

The movie is primarily set in modern times as the Eternals battle the Deviants (and, like with most superhero movies, the potential end of the world). Given the large time span that must be covered to introduce audiences to these characters, the plot ended up overwrought. I’m generally skeptical of the argument that a long movie should just become a miniseries, but “Eternals” certainly would have benefitted from such a change. This movie’s runtime is 2 hours and 37 minutes, and it probably needed twice that. 

Perhaps most important in this movie is familizaring the audience with characters set to return in future installments. “Eternals” is buoyed by a skilled and diverse group of actors amidst an overly ambitious story. By choosing to focus on ten Eternals, however, each character doesn’t get the time they need to develop. One Eternal dies very early on, and it carries no emotional weight whatsoever. 

Having such a large main cast carries the additional gamble that the best characters could be relegated to the sidelines, with some of the Eternals underused and others barely used at all. Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry) and Druig (Barry Keoghan) are locked in a battle over who is better at stealing every scene they’re in, yet both operate in the periphery of the plot. Kingo (Kumail Nanjiani) is another strong character that served as a too fleeting source of comic relief alongside his hilarious valet Karun (Harish Patel). 

Instead of focusing on its usually stellar supporting cast, the movie centers on Sersi (Gemma Chan) and Ikaris (Richard Madden). Chan’s acting is solid but unremarkable, while Madden opts for a jaw-clenchingly stoic performance verging on wooden. Neither actor offers a performance as charismatic or engaging as their supporting cast, though, making Sersi and Ikaris a dissatisfying focal point of “Eternals.” 

Chan and Madden also approach the movie with a soberness that seems as if they are in an entirely different movie from the other actors playing the Eternals. Zhao is a very particular filmmaker, while Marvel is a very controlling studio. It feels like each approached “Eternals” with incompatible visions. Nanjiani’s performance is perhaps the best example of this, not feeling like a cohesive part of the movie so much as a decision Marvel made to inject more of the humor audiences have come to expect from the studio’s movies. 

Marvel commonly employs a strategy of hiring indie filmmakers to direct big projects, and it has mostly excelled. Zhao might have been an auteur too far for Marvel, though, leading to the sharp stylistic dissonance frequenting this movie. While “Eternals” was an attempt to stray from the typical Marvel movie, it appears the studio didn’t fully let Zhao take down the guard rails. Nevertheless, although “Eternals” was a swing and a miss, I like that Marvel is swinging. 

Review: ‘Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley’ is a holiday delight

Main Street Theater’s production of “Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley” is a play that serves as a sequel to Jane Austen’s classic “Pride and Prejudice.” Lauren Gunderson’s clever script showcases the Bennet sisters once again, this time spending Christmas together at Pemberley. This farcical romantic-comedy focuses on awkward middle sister Mary Bennet (Chaney Moore) as she finds love with Mr. Darcy’s equally awkward cousin, Arthur de Bourgh (Aaron Alford). Main Street Theater presents an excellent production of the show with very few missteps and is only a walk to Rice Village away from campus. Performances will continue through Dec. 19 with $10 student tickets. 

Review: More risk, less reward than expected from Adele’s ‘30’

Adele’s fourth studio album “30” is a vulnerable amalgamation of jarring rhythms and soulful influences. Released on Nov. 19, “30” generated widespread critical acclaim for its candid, emotional narration of Adele’s divorce from Simon Konecki. Despite her previously established reputation for a rich vocal range and expressive, emotional lyricism, listeners and critics alike have lauded the new record as Adele’s greatest musical risk to date. A poignant account of the turbulence of family, love, fame, and heartbreak, “30” reiterates Adele’s timeless ability to storytell in a way that touches the hearts of fans everywhere. 

Holiday sights around Houston

It is beginning to look a lot like the holiday season with the lit up Christmas tree at Fondren, Mariah Carey playing at the President’s barbecue and lights wound around trees in Rice Village. To reel in the Houston winter vibes, look no further for a list of holiday attractions to visit during dead days to avoid studying for finals.