Thursday, December 02, 2021 — Houston, TX °

IM sports return from COVID-adjusted year

im-sports-charlie-wells-web
Charlie Wells / Thresher

By Chloe Singer     11/9/21 11:51pm

Student participation in intramural sports remains strong despite the challenge of navigating the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the beginning of the pandemic, IMs have been forced to adjust due to health and safety protocols. According to Chris Watkins, the assistant director of competitive sports and coordinator of intramural sports, he and his team have had to get creative in order to provide students with an opportunity to compete. 

“[Last year] we only had about 30 to 40% of the campus occupied by students,” Watkins said. “A lot of our offerings went virtual. We started doing more eSports and online events, where you had your traditional, Madden Football or FIFA soccer online. But then we also [had] to find creative ways to play. We had a basketball skills competition, where it was an individual doing things rather than a team... to make sure that we were sticking with COVID protocols.”

Last year, very few traditional team sports were offered. As restrictions begin to ease this semester team sports, including flag football and indoor soccer, are back. Austin Fix, a senior at Wiess College, has been involved in intramural sports since his freshman year and is very excited about the return of team sports. 

“The main thing that I've enjoyed is the camaraderie and the friendships that have arisen,” Fix said. “I am in softball [and] a lot of the time you're just like sitting next to the field with your teammates, talking and cheering on your teammates, so I think that's a lot of fun. There is also the competitive aspect. To win a big game with your teammates is a great feeling.”

But even as IMs are starting to look more like they did before the pandemic, some of these adjustments have been incorporated into the competitive offerings for this fall. Watkins said that after looking at participation data to assess which IMs are most popular with students and what activities should be offered, he decided to bring back successful initiatives from last year such as online trivia competitions, esports and intramural track meets. 

Another effect that the pandemic had on IMs was that last year’s freshmen missed the opportunity to compete on freshmen-only IM teams. According to Watkins, sophomores have been given special opportunities to compete in traditionally freshmen-only leagues this year. 

“The freshmen that were here last year that didn't get to experience [intramurals] are still able to do it this year, and still kind of get that same joy of getting to play with your classmates for the first time before jumping into the college leagues,” Watkins said. “We wanted to make sure that we gave them the same opportunities and the same chances that they missed out on last year.”

Outside of playing sports, students can get involved in intramurals as coaches and referees. This fall, Fix began coaching the Wiess powderpuff team. The Rec offers positions as intramural officials where students can attend training to prepare for the league and tournament games. However, Watkins said that due to COVID-19 there is a shortage of referees. 

“Because of COVID, a lot of our veterans graduated, and we weren't able to reload with new officials from previous years,” Watkins said. “So this year, we have about half as many [as] we usually do.”

With the return of a more complete IM schedule, Watkins said that he takes joy in providing students with activities that help bolster their college experience.

“[College is] about the friendships you make and the activities that you do,” Watkins said. “Things that aren't necessarily why you're there, but you happen to do along the way... I want to provide excellent resources as well as activities for people to make their time right here as enjoyable as possible.”

Does this count as progress? Football needs a more consistent formula

Most of the way through the 2019 season, I thought that Rice had some of the worst luck in all of college football. Through nine games, the Owls were winless, despite four one-score losses, including an eight-point loss to a Baylor University team that ended the season ranked in the top 15. All signs indicated that the Owls were much better than their 0-9 record and that their bad luck in close games was long overdue to flip. The Owls ended that season with a three-game winning streak, including two one-possession wins, appeared to confirm that theory.

Recap: Football ends season with comeback win over LA Tech

On Saturday, Rice football came back from a ten point deficit in the fourth quarter to defeat Louisiana Tech University 35-31 on Senior Day. The come-from-behind win snapped a four-game losing streak and tallied the Owls fourth win of the season, moving their record to 4-8 and 3-5 in Conference-USA.

Men Basketball goes 1-2, plays 3OT game in Gulf Coast Showcase

As many undergraduate students went home for Thanksgiving break, the Rice men’s basketball team spent their break participating in the Gulf Coast Showcase in Estero, FL where they won their first game but dropped the last two. In the first game last Monday, the Owls beat the University of Evansville 109-104 in three overtimes. However, following the win, the Owls did not have positive results for the remainder of the showcase as they lost to Oakland University 76-73 on Tuesday and were defeated by Fordham University 84-74 on Wednesday. After their Thanksgiving-week competition, the Owls are now 4-3 on the season.