Budget Bites: Rosalie Italian Soul

budget-bites-rosalie
Photo courtesy Sydney Park

By Sydney Park     11/16/21 11:33pm

Rating: ★★★★

Pro tip: Make a reservation on OpenTable in advance.

Budgeting as a college student can be difficult, especially when it comes to finding places to eat. Ordering in can lead to hefty delivery costs and fees, and cheap fast food can become repetitive quickly. Although at first glance, the price of the menu may appear comparatively steep, Rosalie Italian Soul offers a number of finds for both lunch and dinner under $20. 

Located in the C. Baldwin Hotel in Downtown about a 15-minute drive from Rice campus, Rosalie is dressed to impress. Upon entering, guests stroll through the hotel’s lobby before locating a bright neon pink sign in front of a vine-covered wall. From the modern-tiled floors to the elements of gold decor to the pink napkins, the first word that came to my mind when walking through the restaurant is upscale. Plants and cozy benches with flower embroidery surround the general dining area, creating a fun, warm atmosphere. The restaurant itself is decently crowded and popular, so guests should make a reservation in advance.

The menu offers everything from salads to margarita pizzas to burgers to homemade pastas, all individually priced under $20. Considering it’s an Italian restaurant, I felt obligated to try Rosalie’s homemade rigatoni for $17. It was made out of a Texas wild boar ragu and was absolutely delicious. The warm rigatoni certainly embodied that fresh, chewy pasta quality and had very strong notes of bolognese from the ragu. The tomato and basil flavors shined through the dish, and the freshly shaved parmesan added a nice garnish. The boar itself was tender and perfectly cooked, and the portion given was quite filling. 

If you still manage to have room for dessert, Rosalie’s weekend brunch menu also offers doughboys for $9 to share with your friends. Once again, the portion is quite large, so customers definitely get their money’s worth. The doughboys resemble something between a New Orleans style beignet and traditional donut, coated in powdered sugar with a denser texture than I expected. They arrived warm with a side of fig jam, which could have offered a more intense, fruity flavor. Other than that, the doughboys were quite tasty without being ladened with a greasy feel. 

Overall, Rosalie is a great place to get dressed up for with friends to indulge in a high quality, delicious meal. It’s modern Italian, upscale dining for surprisingly good value and not too far from campus. Check out this enjoyably elegant spot for both satisfied wallets and palates. 

Museum fellows talk art, academia and experiential learning

On Monday mornings at 8 a.m., Ella Langridge walks upstairs to her desk at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens and gets to work, sifting through photocopies of Americana and decorative arts with pasts unknown. Langridge’s job, as this year’s Jameson Fellow for American Painting & Decorative Arts, is to research these artifacts, uncover their histories and communicate their uniquely American stories to the collection’s thousands of annual visitors. 

Review: ‘Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire’ is Peak Cinema

There is no easy way to quantify a film, much to the chagrin of lazy film critics and lazier audiences. We may try to force a movie to fit into a box labeled ⅗ or ⅘ , but occasionally, there appears a work of art that refuses such indignity. A breathtaking fabrication that rejects the premise of a “rating,” whatever that monstrous practice might entail. These magna opera simply are. Along this line of thought, it makes sense to characterize this film for what it is, rather than lambast it for what it is not. This movie is about giant monkeys and lizards fighting. 

Review: “Bryson Tiller re-envisions genre on self-titled album”

Seasoned R&B singer Bryson Tiller has returned with his fourth studio album, a self-titled record that infuses cyberpunk aesthetics into both its visuals and its sound. On the eponymous album, Tiller, best known for hits like “Don’t” and “Exchange,” takes on the challenge of deconstructing his own artistic journey. “Bryson Tiller” is a multi-genre departure from Tiller’s comfort zone. It features pop, dancehall, neo-soul and drill elements next to his signature combination of hip hop and R&B.