Thursday, December 02, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

fall-playlist-ndidi-nwosu
Illustrated by Ndidi Nwosu

By Zeisha Bennett     10/19/21 10:22pm

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Once you get a taste of this, you won't be able to resist, so drink it down like apple cider and enjoy!

“MAPO” by THAMA

We start with the smooth vocals of THAMA’s “MAPO,” falling into the oh-so lovely rabbithole of Korean RnB. Go check out his new album “Don’t Die Colors'' if you’d like more of the buttery vibes he supplies. 

“the stage” by Shura

This next song by Shura gives off rich, city-pop energy that lingers with you after the song fades out. Even though she says she’s done with music, you won’t be over hers.

“Gotta Travel On,” “Old Time Rock & Roll,” & “Just a Gigolo”

Taking a blast from the past with older music, you are introduced to “Gotta Travel On,” “Old Time Rock & Roll,” and “Just a Gigolo.” These throwback bops will have you bouncing around the house with a hairbrush in hand, ready for the second leg of your dorm-wide concert tour. 

“I Wish” by Skee-Lo and “Treat Em Right” by Chubb Rock

These 90’s classics are just the thing to start your day off right. With a bumping rhythm and easy to remember lyrics, your playlist will be all that and a bag of chips.

“Got To Give It Up” by Marvin Gaye

Want to feel like the main character on your way to your 8 a.m., forgetting the troubles and stress of your Distribution III class? Then blast Marvin Gaye’s “Got To Give It Up.” Get down to some funky beats and give up your stress.

“Pela Luz dos Olhos Tues” by Michua and Antônio Carlos Jobim

If you’re in a more mellow mood, “Pela Luz dos Olhos Tues” by Miucha and Antônio Carlos Jobim is the song for you. Let your cares drift away in the wind like the autumn leaves to a bit of Bossa Nova, a style of Brazilian music derived from samba. If you want more, I recommend checking out their entire discography and looking up Astrud Gilberto. 

“Nothing Even Matters” by Lauryn Hill feat. D’Angelo

This track is like the autumn wind. It flows through your hair and it feels oh so wonderful; entrancing. If you’ve ever wanted to get into RnB, there is no greater introduction.

“Juban District” by Ginger Root

Try listening to Ginger Root’s “Juban District,” an immaculate, upbeat frenzy that makes your walk to Brown actually bearable. In no time, you’ll be screaming the lyrics at your next karaoke night.

“Amour T’es La” by Snarky Puppy and Magda Giannikou

Ending our fall playlist with a bang and upbeat instrumentals is Snarky Puppy and Magda Giannikou’s “Amour T’es La.” This song might even help you with your French Midterm… well at least your mood if not your grade.

Review: ‘Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley’ is a holiday delight

Main Street Theater’s production of “Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley” is a play that serves as a sequel to Jane Austen’s classic “Pride and Prejudice.” Lauren Gunderson’s clever script showcases the Bennet sisters once again, this time spending Christmas together at Pemberley. This farcical romantic-comedy focuses on awkward middle sister Mary Bennet (Chaney Moore) as she finds love with Mr. Darcy’s equally awkward cousin, Arthur de Bourgh (Aaron Alford). Main Street Theater presents an excellent production of the show with very few missteps and is only a walk to Rice Village away from campus. Performances will continue through Dec. 19 with $10 student tickets. 

Review: More risk, less reward than expected from Adele’s ‘30’

Adele’s fourth studio album “30” is a vulnerable amalgamation of jarring rhythms and soulful influences. Released on Nov. 19, “30” generated widespread critical acclaim for its candid, emotional narration of Adele’s divorce from Simon Konecki. Despite her previously established reputation for a rich vocal range and expressive, emotional lyricism, listeners and critics alike have lauded the new record as Adele’s greatest musical risk to date. A poignant account of the turbulence of family, love, fame, and heartbreak, “30” reiterates Adele’s timeless ability to storytell in a way that touches the hearts of fans everywhere. 

Holiday sights around Houston

It is beginning to look a lot like the holiday season with the lit up Christmas tree at Fondren, Mariah Carey playing at the President’s barbecue and lights wound around trees in Rice Village. To reel in the Houston winter vibes, look no further for a list of holiday attractions to visit during dead days to avoid studying for finals.