Saturday, October 16, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Amber Mark talks crowd connection, inspiration at ACL

amber-mark-by-greg-noire-for-acl-w1-2021-gnz03547
Photo courtesy Greg Noire

By Jacob Tate     10/13/21 1:02am

Amber Mark hopped on stage at Austin City Limits weekend one with an immediate presence as her fans cheered, unfettered by the merciless 1 p.m. sun. For the entirety of Mark’s set, fans danced and sang along as she and her band wove their way through an impressive discography. Throughout, Amber Mark peppered the audience with commentary, ranging from asking who was a nineties kid and explaining how her music is meant to unite and bring us together.

The show seemed to provoke a cathartic response from fans at ACL, something that Mark said she considers when writing her tracks.

“It always starts coming from an internal place and trying to express that side of myself and what I’m going through,” Mark said. “But I always try to consider [how the audience will respond].” 

Mark further described audience and fan response as an affirmation of our commonality as humans. 

“Everybody deals with these type[s] of emotions, I don’t feel like the feelings I have are abnormal.” Mark said. “I think that people connect because of the fact that we all have lows.”

Mark says that she’s trying to gain inspiration from being in nature — an idea made more appealing after isolation. 

“The idea of going into nature and working on music and just having that time to myself is kinda the ideal situation right now,” Mark said. “When you’re in lockdown it makes you rethink ... Being in a cubicle apartment… you don’t have space, it gets ahold of you.”

With her debut album coming out at the beginning of 2022, Mark has already slowly but surely begun her writing process. 

“I’m very slow with my process,” Mark said. “[But] I have some flutters of inspiration coming out.” 

Judging from the crowd response during Mark’s set, fans are dying to see what those flutters turn into. 

Mark’s debut album “Three Dimensions Deep” releases Jan. 28, 2022 via PMR/Interscope. Her tour comes to the Bronze Peacock Room at the House of Blues in Houston May 12, 2022.

Review: ‘What If…?’ is a worthy watch for Marvel fans

At the heart of Marvel’s “What If…?” is, unsurprisingly, the question: “what if?” The series, which is the first animated entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is based on a popular comic book series of the same name. “What If...?” opts for a similar anthology format, with semi-standalone plots in each episode that eventually converge toward one storyline in the finale. Unlike the comic series, which has the expansive Marvel Comics’s canon at its disposal, the show opts for a smaller scope with only characters that have already appeared in the MCU. These creative guardrails on “What If...?” are the central problem of the show’s first season, which has flashes of immense storytelling potential amidst a more inconsistent affair. 

Haunted houses that call H-Town home

October is here, and with Halloween right around the corner, many of the more brave owls will find themselves looking for a frightful time beyond the hedges. With that, the Thresher delivers, with some of our favorite haunts around Houston. Most of these are not for the faint of heart, but we did include some family friendly ones so your friend who was too scared to watch “Squid Games” can tag along. Go visit, if you dare, and scare away your semester sorrows in fun costumes and screams galore. 

Review: ‘No Time to Die’ thrills audience with James Bond’s latest adventure

When “No Time to Die” first was delayed due to COVID-19 in April 2020, many felt that this film was doomed. With great controversy surrounding the script, casting and even Daniel Craig himself stating that would only play Bond for the money, the consensus was that Craig’s final outing as 007 would be mediocre at best and disastrous at worst. Now releasing nearly 18 months after its anticipated release date, I can safely say that “No Time to Die” is one of the best films of the franchise.