Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Volleyball out of NCAA Tournament due to COVID-19 Protocols

rice-team-huddle-post-game-20210319-vb-ncaa-baylor-rice-mld5a-0187

Credit: Maria Lysaker | Rice Athletics

By Reed Myers     4/15/21 10:57pm

The Rice volleyball team was forced to exit the NCAA women’s volleyball tournament prior to their opening round match against North Carolina A&T State University late Wednesday evening due to COVID-19 protocols. As a result, NC A&T will advance to the next round. 

Head coach Genny Volpe said that she and her players were heartbroken to learn of the news and the NCAA’s resolution about the match. 

"We are devastated that we won't be able to compete in the NCAA Tournament this year," Volpe said. "This team deserved it, earning an at-large bid in a 48-team field and has so much to be proud of. It certainly is painful to see how much the team wanted to compete and to have to break the news to them that they couldn't play. To compete in this tournament meant so much to all of us."

The Owls had high expectations entering the NCAA tournament after completing the first-ever undefeated conference regular season in program history, and knocking off then No. 2 University of Texas, Austin in their regular season finale. The Owls heard their name called on Selection Sunday as an at-large bid for the second straight season, despite losing in the conference championship game. Rice was set to face NC A&T in the first round of the NCAA tournament in Omaha, Nebraska on April 14. However, their opening round match was delayed due to COVID-19 protocols. The delayed start eventually turned into the cancellation of the match, resulting in a no contest, with the Owls getting eliminated, and NC A&T advancing.

The cancellation puts an abrupt end to the season in which the Owls finished with the No. 24 ranking in the country. The Owls went 16-5 with a lineup that boasted Conference USA Player of the Year senior outside hitter Nicole Lennon and C-USA Setter of the Year junior Carly Graham. Despite the unfortunate conclusion to their season, athletic director Joe Karlgaard wanted to remember the Owls’ volleyball season in a positive light for their numerous accomplishments.

"They've worked so hard this spring playing through difficult circumstances," Karlgaard said. "Even with this terrible news, I want them to remember they've had a really terrific season. Rice is proud of who they are and what they've accomplished this year."

The Owls will now gear up for next season as they work towards earning their fourth straight NCAA tournament invitation. The team could potentially return their whole roster, with their core of Lennon, who benefits from an extra year of eligibility, along with Graham and junior middle blocker Anota Adekunle, who will look to return to the NCAA tournament next year. 

Rice set to join American Athletic Conference

For just the third time in school history, Rice will be moving athletic conferences. Along with five other Conference USA schools, Rice accepted an invitation to join the American Athletic Conference, the AAC announced Thursday morning. Rice will remain in C-USA for now, as the move won’t take effect until a later time which is yet to be determined, although multiple Rice coaches indicated that 2023 could be a possible target date. According to Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard, in the AAC, Rice has found a conference that meets all of its criteria.

Nicole Lennon breaks kills record against LA Tech

Senior outside hitter Nicole Lennon made Rice history on Saturday, breaking the program’s all-time kills record as the Owls beat Louisiana Tech University in both matches of their two game series. With her 1970th kill, Lennon broke the record set almost two decades ago by Rice legend and former member of the Spain women’s national volleyball team Rebeca Paz. After the game, Lennon said that breaking the record let her see just how much of an impact she’s made on the program.

Roadrunners run all over the Owls in San Antonio

This past Saturday night, the Rice football team lost to the University of Texas, San Antonio by a final score of 45-0 in the Alamodome. After winning two straight games prior to their bye week, the Owls fell to 2-4 while the Roadrunners added to their undefeated season, sporting a 7-0 record. The most recent AP Top 25 Poll ranked UTSA as the 24th best team in college football after their win over the Owls on Saturday.