Monday, April 19, 2021 — Houston, TX 61°

‘The United States vs. Billie Holiday’: Andra Day shines while others are left behind

billie-holiday-takashi-seida-paramount-pictures-hulu
Courtesy Paramount Pictures

By Jacob Duff     3/2/21 9:10pm

It can be hard to imagine that Andra Day, who plays legendary jazz singer Billie Holiday in “The United States vs. Billie Holiday,” has never played a leading role before. Better known for her success in the R&B music scene than on the silver screen, Day beautifully captures the spotlight and Holiday’s essence: her swagger, her love for gaudy jewelry and clothes and especially her voice. The same success, however, cannot be said for the rest of the movie, directed by Lee Daniels and written by Suzan-Lori Park. Though it boasts a talented star-studded cast, "The United States vs. Billie Holiday" largely fails to do justice to Holiday's life and legacy due to shallow writing and confusing plot development.

The movie follows Holiday’s rise and fall from notoriety after the performance of her iconic song about the horrors of anti-Black violence in the Reconstruction era, “Strange Fruit.” The main issues with the film are its disjointed timeline and its tendency to only skim the surface of important events in Holiday’s life. This was despite the many big name actors and actresses who took on the roles of Holiday's friends and enemies, their characters were not thoroughly fleshed out by the film's writers. Due to the overall disjointedness of the film's timeline, the subplots they offered fell flat. This includes performers such as Natasha Lyonne (“Orange Is the New Black,” “American Pie”) as Tallulah Bankhead, a socialite and actress who supposedly had a romantic relationship with Holiday, Tyler James Williams (“Everybody Hates Chris”) as world-famous jazz saxophonist Lester Young, a member of Holiday’s band and close friend, and Leslie Jordan (“Will & Grace,” “American Horror Story”), who plays a fan who interviews Holiday.

The rest of the movie is a jumpy depiction of Holiday’s career, starting with the peak of her fame and its downturn after the release of “Strange Fruit,” which was due to the federal government’s smear campaign against her, prompted by their fear that her song would spark even more civil unrest during the tumultuous era predating the civil rights movement. The plot the audience sees is often rushed, and its script seems too fast-paced to be immersive and sincere. 

This smear campaign was headed by Harry J. Anslinger, played by Garrett Hedlund (“Troy,” “Friday Night Lights”), head of the Treasury Department’s Federal Bureau of Narcotics. It was he who instructed Jimmy Fletcher, played by Trevante Rhodes (“Moonlight”), to follow Holiday and set her up in a drug bust, which landed her in jail. This was just another example of the movie's phenomenal acting, but poor execution. The flashbacks stuck in between the plot of the federal government trying to penalize Holiday’s drug use never really felt like they belonged or had enough depth to seem relevant. And even when they did go into depth, the writing and flow of the storyline felt too rushed to be properly enjoyed by the audience. 

Another example of this would be Holiday’s interaction with Lyonne’s character, Tallulah Bankhead. While romantic relations between the two women were, the film didn’t take a dive into the actual relationship. It seemed lazy, at best, and lacked the overall importance of a real conflict-resolution that would have made it necessary to the movie’s plot.

What this movie lacks in depth, however, is made up in its blunt portrayal of the time period directly leading to the civil rights movement. Holiday’s song, “Strange Fruit,” was, after all, a song written in protest of the rise in lynchings of innocent Black people and of the Jim Crow laws that still held a chokehold on southern African American communities. The most striking example of this was the film’s depiction of the members of Holiday’s tour bus stumbling upon a scene of a lynching while on the road. The striking scene — a burning cross with two Black children and their father trying to retrieve the corpse of their mother and wife — drives home the true message of “Strange Fruit.”  It also does a fantastic job of portraying the federal government’s thinly veiled “War on Drugs” which, in actuality, was just a war on Black communities. 

All in all, I think this movie had many elements individually that could have made up a fantastic movie: a bombshell cast with a fabulous lead, a vivid portrayal of a fraught and difficult time in America’s racial history and plenty of plot material to source from the life of a legend like Holiday. However, it simply lacked the coherence and depth that a biopic of such an iconic figure should have had.

“The United States vs. Billie Holiday” was released on Hulu on Feb. 26. It can be viewed with a regular Hulu subscription.

Review: Taylor Swift reclaims her artistry with re-recorded album “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)”

Fans got their first taste of Taylor Swift’s re-recorded album, “Fearless (Taylor’s Version),” when a snippet of “Love Story” was used in Ryan Reynolds’ Tinder commercial last December. The full album was released on April 9 and includes remastered versions of every song from the platinum edition of Swift’s 2008 album, “Fearless,” along with six unreleased songs “from the vault” that were cut from the original project. The re-release is largely unchanged from the original in terms of her familiar vocals on fan-favorite singles like “You Belong With Me.” Still, the album epitomizes the singer-songwriter’s artistic growth over the past decade and serves as the first step to Swift regaining ownership of her music, making “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” a worthwhile listen for returning fans and new listeners alike.  

KTRU Outdoor Show brings music, art to campus scene and virtual screens

As the close of the semester approaches, KTRU wants to help end the academic year on a high note. KTRU’s annual Outdoor Show will round out the end of the semester — albeit in a different format than what we have seen in years past. On April 24 from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m., the Rice community will have the chance to gather in the central quad — distanced and masked — for what Katelyn Landry, this year’s organizer for ODS, called a “mini music and art festival.” This year’s show will consist of screenings and livestreams of artists’ pre-recorded sets, an art installation, Houston food trucks on sight and an opportunity for the Rice community to connect with each other through music and art whether in-person or virtually.