Monday, November 29, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Feb. 10

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     2/9/21 10:11pm

POMPEII: THE EXHIBITION

The Houston Museum of Natural Science will unveil its new exhibit on the historic Roman city of Pompeii this Saturday, Feb. 13. Visitors will have the opportunity to see over 150 artifacts from the city that were preserved in volcanic ash after the cataclysmic eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. See this snapshot of Roman life for $16 when you bring your Rice ID.

ASTR SUBMISSIONS

Submit your creative work to ASTR*, Rice’s art and design magazine, before the Friday, Feb. 12 deadline. Themes for their third issue can be found on their Instagram or Facebook, and submissions should be sent to rice.astr@gmail.com.

IN CONVERSATION: “WILD LIFE”

Talk to Jessi Reaves, one of the artists behind the Contemporary Arts Museum’s new exhibition “Wild Life,” ahead of its opening on Thursday, Feb. 11. The exhibition will be on view for the public starting Thursday, Feb. 18, and brings together sculptures by Reaves and paintings by Elizabeth Murray. Admission is free.

LOVE YOU TO DEATH

Join Insomnia Gallery on their YouTube channel at 7 p.m. CST on Friday, Feb. 12 for an online art show all about love, loss, lust and everything in between. The show is free, but all pieces will be on sale on the gallery’s website starting at 8 p.m. 

Review: ‘Passing’ is a must-see product of its actors’ skill and excellent direction

Early in “Passing,” the movie’s protagonist Irene Redfield (Tessa Thompson) declares, “I have everything I’ve ever wanted.” This is a pretty good sign that Redfield, in fact, does not have everything she has ever wanted. At first glance, Redfield has a picturesque life: two children, an attractive doctor husband and a maid to tend to their beautiful house. But through a well-constructed slow burn plot, “Passing” reveals that Redfield has merely repressed her discontent. 

Budget Bites: Rosalie Italian Soul

Budgeting as a college student can be difficult, especially when it comes to finding places to eat. Ordering in can lead to hefty delivery costs and fees, and cheap fast food can become repetitive quickly. Although at first glance, the price of the menu may appear comparatively steep, Rosalie Italian Soul offers a number of finds for both lunch and dinner under $20.