Monday, March 01, 2021 — Houston, TX 41°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Feb. 10

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     2/9/21 10:11pm

POMPEII: THE EXHIBITION

The Houston Museum of Natural Science will unveil its new exhibit on the historic Roman city of Pompeii this Saturday, Feb. 13. Visitors will have the opportunity to see over 150 artifacts from the city that were preserved in volcanic ash after the cataclysmic eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. See this snapshot of Roman life for $16 when you bring your Rice ID.

ASTR SUBMISSIONS

Submit your creative work to ASTR*, Rice’s art and design magazine, before the Friday, Feb. 12 deadline. Themes for their third issue can be found on their Instagram or Facebook, and submissions should be sent to rice.astr@gmail.com.

IN CONVERSATION: “WILD LIFE”

Talk to Jessi Reaves, one of the artists behind the Contemporary Arts Museum’s new exhibition “Wild Life,” ahead of its opening on Thursday, Feb. 11. The exhibition will be on view for the public starting Thursday, Feb. 18, and brings together sculptures by Reaves and paintings by Elizabeth Murray. Admission is free.

LOVE YOU TO DEATH

Join Insomnia Gallery on their YouTube channel at 7 p.m. CST on Friday, Feb. 12 for an online art show all about love, loss, lust and everything in between. The show is free, but all pieces will be on sale on the gallery’s website starting at 8 p.m. 

Predicting the 2021 Golden Globe Awards

The Golden Globes, often described as the precursor — and sometimes inferior sibling — to the Oscars and the Emmys, are happening this Sunday, Feb. 28 and I will be taking you through my predictions for the biggest categories in film and (some) television. Buckle up … because, once again, it is very beige. 

“Meet Houston’s Artists” docuseries and group exhibit to reflect on empathy

Houston artist MoNique LeRoux opens her docuseries “Meet Houston’s Artists” by acknowledging the upheaval of normal life in the past year in the past year caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, economic downturn and Black Lives Matter protests. The tumultuous events of 2020 were key motivations for LeRoux to produce her docuseries, which highlights 14 local artists and how they were impacted by the pandemic. The docuseries culminated in a physical art exhibit, which opened Saturday, Feb. 13 at Sabine Street Studios.