Friday, July 01, 2022 — Houston, TX

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Feb. 10

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Katelyn Landry     2/9/21 10:11pm

POMPEII: THE EXHIBITION

The Houston Museum of Natural Science will unveil its new exhibit on the historic Roman city of Pompeii this Saturday, Feb. 13. Visitors will have the opportunity to see over 150 artifacts from the city that were preserved in volcanic ash after the cataclysmic eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. See this snapshot of Roman life for $16 when you bring your Rice ID.

ASTR SUBMISSIONS

Submit your creative work to ASTR*, Rice’s art and design magazine, before the Friday, Feb. 12 deadline. Themes for their third issue can be found on their Instagram or Facebook, and submissions should be sent to rice.astr@gmail.com.

IN CONVERSATION: “WILD LIFE”

Talk to Jessi Reaves, one of the artists behind the Contemporary Arts Museum’s new exhibition “Wild Life,” ahead of its opening on Thursday, Feb. 11. The exhibition will be on view for the public starting Thursday, Feb. 18, and brings together sculptures by Reaves and paintings by Elizabeth Murray. Admission is free.

LOVE YOU TO DEATH

Join Insomnia Gallery on their YouTube channel at 7 p.m. CST on Friday, Feb. 12 for an online art show all about love, loss, lust and everything in between. The show is free, but all pieces will be on sale on the gallery’s website starting at 8 p.m.