Monday, March 01, 2021 — Houston, TX 41°

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Feb. 17

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev     2/17/21 12:38pm

ELDORADO NIGHTS

Project Row Houses and Aurora Picture Show are jointly presenting a series of projection mapping installations outside the historic Eldorado Ballroom from 7 p.m. onward on Feb. 20 and 27. The outdoor exhibition will feature works by Third Ward artists Bria Lauren and Phillip Pyle, II, and will honor the legacy of the Eldorado Ballroom and its community. Admission is free and advance registration is not required. Social distancing and masks are required at all times.

FABLED FLORA

Foto Relevance will unveil its new group exhibition featuring still life works from contemporary photographers this Friday, Feb. 19. The exhibition is free and open for walk-in hours Thursdays through Saturdays from 12 to 4 p.m.

IN DIALOGUE: ON ACEDIA AND “SPECTERS OF NOON”

Join artistic duo Allora & Calzadilla and religious studies scholars Niki Kasumi Clements and Jonathan Zecher next Tuesday from 6 to 7 p.m. for a conversation about the former’s exhibition, currently on display in the Menil Collection. Submit questions and watch their conversation on the Menil Collection’s website. The program is free and open to the public.

NO DATA PLAN

Aurora Picture Show will present the Houston premiere of “No Data Plan,” a personal and experimental documentary by Filipino filmmaker Miko Revereza about the experience of undocumented immigrants living in the United States. The 70-minute film will be available to stream for free online from Feb. 17 to 21. 

Predicting the 2021 Golden Globe Awards

The Golden Globes, often described as the precursor — and sometimes inferior sibling — to the Oscars and the Emmys, are happening this Sunday, Feb. 28 and I will be taking you through my predictions for the biggest categories in film and (some) television. Buckle up … because, once again, it is very beige. 

“Meet Houston’s Artists” docuseries and group exhibit to reflect on empathy

Houston artist MoNique LeRoux opens her docuseries “Meet Houston’s Artists” by acknowledging the upheaval of normal life in the past year in the past year caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, economic downturn and Black Lives Matter protests. The tumultuous events of 2020 were key motivations for LeRoux to produce her docuseries, which highlights 14 local artists and how they were impacted by the pandemic. The docuseries culminated in a physical art exhibit, which opened Saturday, Feb. 13 at Sabine Street Studios.