Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Weekly Scenes and Screens: Feb. 17

weekly-scene-and-screens-tina-liu
Illustrated by Tina Liu

By Sanvitti Sahdev     2/17/21 12:38pm

ELDORADO NIGHTS

Project Row Houses and Aurora Picture Show are jointly presenting a series of projection mapping installations outside the historic Eldorado Ballroom from 7 p.m. onward on Feb. 20 and 27. The outdoor exhibition will feature works by Third Ward artists Bria Lauren and Phillip Pyle, II, and will honor the legacy of the Eldorado Ballroom and its community. Admission is free and advance registration is not required. Social distancing and masks are required at all times.

FABLED FLORA

Foto Relevance will unveil its new group exhibition featuring still life works from contemporary photographers this Friday, Feb. 19. The exhibition is free and open for walk-in hours Thursdays through Saturdays from 12 to 4 p.m.

IN DIALOGUE: ON ACEDIA AND “SPECTERS OF NOON”

Join artistic duo Allora & Calzadilla and religious studies scholars Niki Kasumi Clements and Jonathan Zecher next Tuesday from 6 to 7 p.m. for a conversation about the former’s exhibition, currently on display in the Menil Collection. Submit questions and watch their conversation on the Menil Collection’s website. The program is free and open to the public.

NO DATA PLAN

Aurora Picture Show will present the Houston premiere of “No Data Plan,” a personal and experimental documentary by Filipino filmmaker Miko Revereza about the experience of undocumented immigrants living in the United States. The 70-minute film will be available to stream for free online from Feb. 17 to 21. 

Spice it Up: Fall Playlist

Now that fall and the return of autumn seasonal drinks have finally rolled around, it is time to (pumpkin) spice up our playlists. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music (and, yes, there is a correct answer), here are some good options to add to your queue. This playlist offers plenty of different genres and languages, ranging from Funk to Bossa Nova and from Korean to Hebrew that you may not have heard before. 

Dining on a budget near campus

By this point in the semester, it’s understandable to begin lacking emotional excitement for servery food. We’ve all had our fair share of grilled chicken, caesar salads and fries, which have become somewhat repetitive for the palate. Luckily, Houston is a culinary extravaganza for lovers of all cuisines. If you’re looking for new, fresh bites, take a look at four affordable restaurants close to campus for your next meal.

Review: FINNEAS’s pervasive hopefulness and emotional songwriting shine in ‘Optimist’

“Optimist” expands upon FINNEAS’s melancholy songwriting and production skills to create a compelling and interesting debut album. FINNEAS is largely known for collaborations with his sister, Billie Eilish, who he produces and co-writes songs with. However, he also previously released an excellent EP, “Blood Harmony,” and an array of singles. FINNEAS’s first full-length album continues the lyricism seen in previous stand-out tracks like “I Lost a Friend” and “I Don’t Miss You at All,” albeit with a slightly different feeling reminiscent of Billie’s more introspective “Happier Than Ever.”