Thursday, February 25, 2021 — Houston, TX 41°

Adekunle and Lennon lead volleyball team into new season

nicole-lennon-11-20210123-vb-ncaa-uh-vs-rice-mld5a-8956
Courtesy Maria Lysaker/Rice Athletics

By Daniel Schrager     2/2/21 9:59pm

A lot has changed for the Rice volleyball team since the end of their 2019 season, which saw them earn their first top-25 ranking and the first win in an NCAA tournament game in program history. Since then, the Owls have seen several key players leave. Of their nine most-used players last year, only three remain on the roster this season. Of the five Owls to earn first or second team all-conference honors in 2019, only two remain.

Despite this turnover, the Owls return two of their most important players from last season: junior middle blocker Anota Adekunle and senior outside hitter Nicole Lennon. Both players were named all-American honorable mentions by the American Volleyball Coaches Association. Lennon was the Owls’ primary attacker, and finished No. 11 in the NCAA with 4.81 kills per set. Adekunle, meanwhile, was the team’s most efficient attacker, ranking No. 6 in the NCAA in hitting percentage, which measures kills as a percentage of attempts, with a mark of 42.3 percent. 

According to Lennon, as a key returning player, she’s had to take on a new role on the team due to the changes on the roster.

“My role has completely changed,” Lennon said. “Last year we had six seniors, so they took the reins. I’ve always been more of a lead-by-example kind of person. Now that I’m the only senior, I’ve had to step into a major leadership role.”

Adekunle has also seen her role with the team change. According to Adekunle, now that she is an upperclassman, she has had to take on a more vocal role.

“I have to step up on and off the court this year,” Adekunle said. “I’m very much a quiet person and tend to [lead with] my actions. But this year, seeing that so many upperclassmen graduated, I’ve had to speak up a little more.”

Adekunle has made an impact on the court ever since she arrived at Rice. After her freshman season, Adekunle earned second team all-conference honors, and was named most valuable player of the C-USA tournament. 

Last year, as a sophomore Adekunle reached new heights, improving her hitting percentage by 7.9 percent, and increasing her kills total by 130. This year, Adekunle said she’d like to improve her game by making it more well-rounded.

“This season [I’d like to] step up my defense,” Adekunle said. “I’m pretty good on offense, but I would like the same to be said for my blocking and passing.”

Lennon, too, made waves immediately after arriving on campus. As a freshman, she won C-USA co-freshman of the year, and then conference player of the year the following year. Her junior year, she upped her totals in nearly every statistical category, including kills and hitting percentage. According to Lennon, her success on the court is a product of the confidence that she has built up over the years.

“My biggest strength is my confidence,” Lennon said. “When I’m on the court, I want the ball at all times, because I’m confident that I’m going to put it away. That’s not something that really came naturally to me, but it’s developed over my years here with my years of training.”

Despite the personal accolades that her success has brought, Lennon said she remains very team-oriented.

“One of the best parts of playing volleyball is helping your teammates get a win,” Lennon said. “My teammates are my best friends and being able to bring happiness to all of us is so much fun, and it’s the reason that I play.”

As the team begins its season, they look to build on last year’s success. While the team is off to a 1-3 start, already just one loss shy of their entire loss total from last year, Adkunle said things will start trending upwards if they focus and execute.

“With this season being a little different, [due to the COVID-19 pandemic], it’s important to be intentional about the things we do on and off the court because the margin for error is very small,” Adekunle said. “We just all have to work together and lean on each other for support to make [our] goals happen.”

Men’s track jumps, throws their way to fourth place at C-USA Indoor Championships

The Rice men’s track and field team placed No. 4 overall at the Conference USA Indoor Championships this past weekend. Relying in large part on the “field” half of their name, the Owls owned the medal stand in the pole vault and took home the gold in the weight throw, giving Rice 88 points for the weekend. The Owls were just two points shy of the University of Texas, San Antonio, who placed third. 

Women’s Track & Field places fourth at C-USA Indoor Championships behind Forbes’s record day

The Rice Women’s track and field team placed No. 4 out of the 12 teams at the Conference USA Indoor Track and Field Championships over the weekend in their first meet of the season. The Owls finished the meet with a total of 75.50 points, 33.50 shy of first place, the University of Southern Mississippi. Sophomore distance runner Grace Forbes stole the show for the Owls, setting a school and meet record in the one-mile run, and scoring more points than any other participant over the weekend.  

Baseball must show progress to prove that 2-14 season was a fluke

The Rice baseball team’s 2020 season lasted just over three weeks before the start of the pandemic brought it to a halt, but that was enough time to raise some questions about the team’s direction going forward. In 16 games, as opposed to their originally scheduled 55, the Owls managed just two wins and 14 losses. For a program that is just three years removed from a streak of 26 consecutive winning seasons under former head coach Wayne Graham, last season’s results were alarming.